The Good Kind of Dorky

 

Sunday, June 04, 2006

My Scarlet Letter

I went a few days ago to get my car's state inspection done. I thought for sure it would pass since Edgar and his dad and uncle did some work on it earlier this year. Well, it didn't. Apparently the left ball joint needs to be replaced and to get to the left ball joint you have to remove the right, so basically it just makes sense to replace them both. And this will cost about $600-650!! Not only that, but they also checked my air conditioning for me and stuff like that. My brake lines and my air conditioning filters need to be fixed, bringing the grand total to up around $1,500!! WHAT?!! Like I have $1,500 to spend on my Jeep!! Heck no! I thought about possibly selling it (It's a 1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee and it has around 135,000 miles on it) I might be able to get a couple dollars for it, but do I want to have car payments? If i got a car it would probably be a used Civic or something like that. Edgar and I discussed and we decided I'd get everything fixed and keep it at least another year--even if I can sell it for hardly anything, it will be worth the money in that I went another year driving a car that has already been paid for. In the meantime though, I've been driving around with a pink REJECTION sticked on my car and it is not cool. I feel like it might as well say REJECT. It just keeps making me think of the big "A" in The Scarlet Letter. Let's face it, my car and I are both big rejects...

..................................................................

I keep having this recurring dream that I am taking 4 classes at a college. I stop going to Math class for some reason and then I think that the class has ended for the semester. Then it's nearing the end of the semester and I realize that the class has still been going on, but I haven't been going. Since it's been so long since I've been and there is only a class or two left, I decide that I am not going to go to it. I get really worried about telling my dad that I am basically going to fail a class, but somehow hope that the low grade I got on the first test earlier in the semester will allow me to at least pass the class. But I am just really anxious throughout the dream because I don't want to fail because I've never failed a class and I don't want to have to tell my dad that I just stopped going to the class and that's why I failed.

I've had this dream 2 or 3 times now. It's really weird. I wonder what it means...


6 Comments:

  • At 5:50 PM, Anonymous $ara said…

    don't you see? you are a reject in life and even in your dreams you're doomed to fail. it's almost too easy...

     
  • At 6:13 PM, Anonymous Motherload said…

    I think it's the FEAR of failure or the fear of being seen as a failure by your father. Or the fear that you're missing out (or will miss out) on something really important? Or something is missing in your life and you don't want to fail at life? Sheesh. Hush and go back to sleep.

     
  • At 6:19 PM, Anonymous Motherload said…

    .... and what is it about Math class? I STILL occasionally have dreams that I'm in Math class with no clue what's going on and scared to death that the teacher will call on me. So maybe it really has more to do with a basic fear of math. :-) I might have another theory but I need to ponder it a while longer.

     
  • At 7:58 AM, Blogger Lindsey said…

    Wow, thanks $ara, that was very insightful and probably true!

    Thanks motherload for your interpretations. What is your third interpretation?? I actually had another dream Sunday night. I woke up and I wanted the dream to be over, but when I went back to sleep I was back in the same dream where it left off. So annoying. I will post that one soon!

     
  • At 12:25 PM, Anonymous motherload said…

    A portion of the dream could be simply that you long for your college days. You miss going to school and being around a variety of stimulating people. Each day was a little different... not quite as routine and you miss that. You've given it up for a house, a dog, and a job. Part of you wishes you were back at school... or at least the freedom it represents. And of course everything circles back to your parents screwing you up somehow and girls making their fathers proud. (sigh)

     
  • At 11:09 PM, Anonymous Zack said…

    Finally, someone else with these recurring dreams of school years after!

    I have a recurring one where my employer discovers I didn't finish high school (even though I have a Bachelor's degree) and I have to go back and finish the 12th grade...anyone here familiar with Strangers with Candy?

    so we are not alone--

     

Post a Comment

<< Home