The Good Kind of Dorky

 

Tuesday, November 14, 2006

Christmas is...

...just around the corner! In just over a month Christmas will be here. The thought of having only a few more pay checks before then, bills to pay and presents to buy kind of stresses me out a little bit. I have started thinking about presents I'd like to get for friends and family, but I haven't actually bought anyone anything yet. I'm going to try and space it out a little bit so there isn't such a hard blow all at once to my bank account. But even though I am slightly stressed about money, I am looking forward to the holiday season--even if it doesn't quite feel so late in the year! Starbucks already has peppermint, gingerbread and egg nog drinks (yum!) and stores are starting to put up Christmas displays. I will say I was not okay with Target having Christmas aisles right next to the Halloween stuff. That was totally uncool, Target. I love Halloween with a passion, but still my favorite holiday has to be Christmas. There is nothing like waking up on Christmas morning, Mom cooking the traditional egg dish and warming up the grilled stickies and Sara (my sister) and I searching for the Christmas pickle ornament--a German tradition. What I truly love most about Christmas is not the gifts (although, giving and receiving gifts is really fun). No, what I love most are the traditions and the warmth. I love being around my favorite people and sharing memories. I love the fireplace roaring and drawing out the present opening into the afternoon. I love listening to Christmas music. I love going to my best friend Matt's house and checking out his loot and spending time with his family, too. I love seeing snow, something I miss now that I am living in Richmond. I love how happy and cheerful everyone is, despite being stressed about their bank accounts.

I've already booked my flight home. I'm staying longer this year than I have the past two years. I am hoping to be able to see a lot more of my friends this way and I'll be able to spend more time with my family. Edgar has come home with me the past two years, but this year he has decided to stay here and spend Christmas with his mom. I completely understand and I'm okay with this even though I will miss him. As I get a little bit older and closer to marriage and starting my own family, I feel saddened that one day I probably won't go back home to my parents' house and instead I'll stay home and carry on old traditions and create new ones of my own. I hope to see my parents on Christmas at least for a few more years, but at some point the year will come that I don't make it home for Christmas. But for now I will just try to enjoy the holiday season which is upon us.

Please share with me your favorite holiday memories or traditions...regardless of what holiday you may (or may not) celebrate during this time of year.



Exercise Tracker: I am not feeling really great tonight so I didn't work out, but so far this month I've only missed 3 days, which really isn't so bad, right???? Let's face it, I'd be more ashamed if I missed a day of blogging.

7 Comments:

  • At 11:49 PM, Anonymous Motherload said…

    ..."As I get a little bit older and closer to marriage and starting my own family, I feel saddened that one day I probably won't go back home to my parents' house and instead I'll stay home and carry on old traditions and create new ones of my own."

    Wh wh wha what?!?! Marriage??? Your own family??? Not coming home for Christmas??? MARRIAGE??? CHILDREN??? WHAT???

     
  • At 11:52 PM, Anonymous Motherload said…

    Thanks for reminding me about grilled stickies. I totally forgot to order them! :-O I'll get right on that. What would Christmas breakfast be without grilled stickies!

    Oh yeah... what Starbucks holiday drink do you recommend?

     
  • At 7:16 AM, Blogger Lindsey said…

    Yes, please do order the grilled stickies motherload. I would be deeply saddened if there were no stickies! :-)

    The eggnog latte is pretty good, the gingerbread latte is okay, and the peppermint mocha is probably the best, but I don't end up getting that one a lot because it sounds like it has more calories! I get the eggnog one the most.

     
  • At 9:00 AM, Blogger Frema said…

    I was thinking these very same thoughts a few days ago. One day the time will come that Luke and I decide to stop spending half our vacation time on the road hopping back and forth between our families, and it breaks my heart. We're only three hours away, but soon it'll be three hours too long. I'd love to live closer someday.

     
  • At 9:24 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I don't think you'll ever have to be completely without your family for the holidays. The thought just makes me too sad. I've always imagined that as Michael and I settle down more and start having children we'll stay home and our parents will come to us. Christmas = Family, there's no way around it.

     
  • At 8:02 PM, Anonymous sassy said…

    once the tree is up and decorated we'll have to play the nutcracker music. you can be the sleeping girl that wakes up in the night to find me, the toy soldier, has come alive performing The Robot and then i get to slap your hand anytime you try and touch an ornament. it'll be just like old times.

     
  • At 10:53 PM, Blogger Lindsey said…

    Yes, that would be awesome. That was the best. I might have to do an entire post about that! What fun!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home