The Good Kind of Dorky

 

Saturday, November 04, 2006

Is that a cowboy in your pants?

According to the most reliable source on the internet, Wikipedia, gaucho is defined as a term commonly used to describe residents of the South American pampas, chacos or Patagonian grasslands, found principally in parts of Argentina, Uruguay, and the state of Rio Grande do Sul in southern Brazil. The word gaucho could be described as a loose equivalent to the North American "cowboy." An image search on google gave me these fine gentlemen.


Incidentally it also turned up this image.

I'm all for some Spanish cowboys (well, if I let him wear my new hat, Edgar is my Spanish cowboy) and don't get me wrong, I'd totally befriend los gauchos GAY. Please note, if you vote for the incredibly discriminatory marriage amendment in Virginia in next week's election I don't think we can be friends anymore, but I digress. The real reason I am writing today is to express my love of the pants.
I LOVE gauchos!!! I thought my relationship with capris was the best it could ever get, but then my friends, the fashion world came out with the gaucho pant and consequently I have a new love of my life. They are so comfortable and fun, I could wear them everyday. Let's face it I practically do wear them everyday. The look good in the summer with a strappy sandal, they look cute with ballet flats and they look awesome with knee high boots (my other love of the moment). Wearing regular length pants is fine, but as time goes on they get boring. Gauchos make picking out what to wear fun again. They are good for work, play, the beach, the country...gauchos, gauchos everywhere. HEART.

Please just don't wear gauchos that look like this. Ew. Fashion don't. (Sorry girl I do not know from the internet but you look hideous)

So do you like gauchos? Do you wear gauchos? If you don't will you buy a pair? Go ahead, you might find a new love and you won't know how you lived without them.


Exercise Tracker: I did 30 minutes on the eliptical and to make up for yesterday I did an extra 20 minutes (on the incline trainer).

6 Comments:

  • At 9:41 PM, Blogger Lauren said…

    I'm not sure how I feel about gauchos. I don't hate them, except for the flowy jersey fabric ones people wear in the summer...I don't like those. I don't think I would wear gauchos, they are just too trendy for me.

     
  • At 12:12 AM, Anonymous Motherload said…

    I have mixed feelings about gauchos (pants that is, not cowboys). I really want to try this fashion trend but in a tasteful way so I don't look like I'm trying to be 18. I like the look best with boots. However, I haven't been able to find a pair of tall boots that I like with a heel height lower than three or four inches. Alas, no boots = no guachos. :-(

     
  • At 2:37 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    My mother scarred me as a child with the cuolottes in every color and now all I see is third grade(grey cuolottes, yellow shirt with panda bears, ack!) atire and it gives me the hives!
    But, I do think they look great on others.
    Here via the randomizer...

     
  • At 10:34 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I'm pretty sure you already know my opinion on gauchos. They just remind me of Fiddler on the Roof and they're just too trendy for my tastes. However, I work with you everyday and I've seen you wear them a lot and they've grown on me some. I would never own them but when worn correctly, the way you wear them, I am not gagging. Perhaps you should post some pictures of you wearing gauchos so everyone can see how it's done.

     
  • At 3:43 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I tend to refer to these as "Pirate Pants"...

     
  • At 11:58 AM, Blogger Frema said…

    I bought a gray pair last fall and have fallen deeply in love with them. I'm not really a person who goes after trends, but something about this one is classic for me. However, I would only wear them with knee-high boots. I could never pull them off in the summer.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home