The Good Kind of Dorky

 

Thursday, November 09, 2006

My Thoughts on Immigration

Thank you Erica for requesting that I share with you my views on illegal immigration. Sure, I'd be happy to! I'd like to begin by saying that I appreciate diversity, I love diversity, I learn from diversity. This country is made up of a very diverse group of people and it would be extremely boring if that were not the case. With the exception of Native Americans, everyone in this country is or is a descendant of an immigrant. My mother was born in Germany--she is actually 100% Polish--but she came to this country as a child. My boyfriend, Edgar, was born in the Dominican Republic and came to this country with his family when he was 3 years old. For the sake of discussion I am going to use Mexican immigration as my example since it is talked about so frequently in the news. My "Mexican citizen no more" friend Michael just became an American citizen yesterday! Yay Michael! But he has been living in this country legally for years. I have plenty of friends in similar situations. I believe that immigration itself is all fine and good, that is, if you do it legally. If you come into this country illegally you are just pissing off all of the people who went to the trouble to do it the right way and become a citizen. Also, if you are born in this country and your parents were in this country illegally, that should not make you and legal citizen. I don't believe that if you have been in this country for a certain amount of time and you lucked out and didn't get caught that you should automatically gain citizenship. No, that is not how it should work. I don't care if you do the jobs "no one else wants." Do you know why? Because when your van of illegals crashes into a car, you drive away not knowing if you've hurt someone because all you care about is not getting caught (true story--this happened to a girl I know and she was not actually hurt so she drove after them while calling the police and the police caught them!) And when you crash into the tree in front of my office and you run away bleeding because you don't want to get caught, not only is that a sad situation, it is unsafe! You need medical attention, dude! So when you don't take responsibility for your actions or for the welfare of others you may have hurt, I can't agree that you should be allowed here. I believe we need better border control and we need to deport anyone found in this country who is here illegally. I know it might suck in whatever country you are in if you are willing to come to the "land of opportunity" and risk so much. But you can have the opportunity if you do it the right way like everyone else.

I'd also like to point out that being a Libra, I have always concerned myself over what is fair and not fair. And I know that all of this is just one point of view, but it gets under my skin so bad if something someone is doing is, to me, unfair. And I think it is fair to follow the legal process to come into the United States.

What do you think? Am I being to harsh? Not harsh enough? Let me know your thoughts, even if your thoughts are that you would slap me if you could.

I am always willing to consider another side.

4 Comments:

  • At 2:21 PM, Blogger Lauren said…

    I agree.

     
  • At 5:45 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I'm totally with you. Totally. I say build the freakin' wall!

     
  • At 8:51 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I agree with you. I too consider myself a liberal but "conservative" on this issue. But, illegal immigration is AGAINST THE LAW, and who could be "for" that??

     
  • At 10:21 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Yeah that's right build a freaking fence just like the natives did???......Hummm wait a minute..Aren't most mex. That cross the border natives of the americas who are not wanted by the 10% Rich and middle class europen or mestizo mexican??....Hummm we got to re-think this freaking mess we're in.... Maybe? Change the corrupted racist mexican- govertment!!! Yeah that's it!!!!....Hummm wait it minute. We can't. uncle Sam has a big cookie jar over there. Crap! We got to think some more..Hummmm"..Hey Maria get my coffee. and tell Jose to hurry up with the lawn....Hummm let's see let's see hummm.............

     

Post a Comment

<< Home