The Good Kind of Dorky

 

Wednesday, January 31, 2007

As Opposed to The Good Kind of Dorky

Everyone seems to have a case of the blahs these days, myself included, but it hasn't all been bad. For instance, today I g-mail chatted (?? I don't even know what the cool kids call it) with my blog friend Piglet of Fire. I mentioned that what weirds me out about blogs is that I have these friends and I have no idea what their voices sound like. I don't know why it weirds me out so much, but it does. Thank goodness for Jenny, who graciously shared her voice with the world in a video blog. I then remembered that I hadn't even seen Piglet's picture, except for the one he posted around New Year's in which he was too far away and I really couldn't tell what he looked like. He is just not ready to show the world his face and that is okay, but it is NOT okay that he doesn't show me. So I asked nicely demanded that he show me. Of course I cannot share a picture of hotty hotness himself because that would be so uncool and I am not one to be uncool (oooh, just wait...)! But ladies, trust me, he is easy on the eyes.

Besides discovering that someone I already thought was cool based on personality alone, also happens to be good looking, sure makes the blahs a bit less...well, blah. Another thing that has been cheering me up is the return of American Idol! My obsession with the show began last season. It's actually about to start, but I am prioritizing you guys above the show (don't worry, I have DVR). Right now, as I'm sure you are aware, is the audition part where many sorry individuals are publicly humiliated on national television. Watching the really god-awful auditions really cheers me up! Part of me thinks I should try out just so I can see if I am bad enough to make it to the try-outs in front of Randy, Paula and Simon. I mean, you have to be really good or really bad to get to that point. I think I am bad enough, I really do. One time in college I was hanging out with one of my best girlfriends. I started singing along to a Britney Spears song and she turned and looked at me with a straight face and said, seriously, "Don't ever do that again."

When I was younger, my dad said he would pay for singing lessons, to which I said, "Why? I don't need them." Yes, I should be the next American Idol. Who cares if I am tone deaf? Why should that matter. Let's let America decide.

So, in an attempt to cheer you up from your case of the blahs, I am bringing you something special. It is not my speaking voice, unfortunate for you. Today I share my very own American Idol audition, just for you. What you are about to hear is not only my "duet" with Ashlee Simpson, it is also grounds for the termination of our friendship. Enjoy, as I publicly humiliate myself for all to hear. I have a feeling I will soon regret this.

12 Comments:

  • At 9:39 PM, Blogger Sarah said…

    That was beautiful even if it was perhaps a bit...well...how do you say...overwhelming with the amount of greatness! How brave!

    I am feeling less blah!!!

     
  • At 9:52 PM, Blogger janet said…

    well I can say you are for sure better than the girl who was just auditioning! :)

     
  • At 11:04 PM, Blogger Cece said…

    Gosh darn dial up sucks ass! I wasn't able to enjoy your singing talents. I'll have to try it from work tomorrow.

    I often wonder what fellow bloggers sound like. When my internet friends meet me for the first time I'm often told Your voice is much higher than I imagined! Umm, I just hope its not an annoying high!

     
  • At 2:17 PM, Blogger Carrie said…

    OMG! That was the best! This post is going down as one of my favorite posts EVA. You like to humiliate yourself as much as me. That is fantastic.

    And I really don't think you sound bad at all or maybe I just sing really bad.

     
  • At 2:41 PM, Blogger L Sass said…

    Amazing!! If you had only auditioned for American Idol, you blog friends could have all come to the finale sporting "Team Dork" t-shirts and signs! Hehe.

     
  • At 4:59 PM, Anonymous Jenny said…

    Oh. My. Got.

    I've been trying to get in all day and it's been worth the wait.

    The fact that you chose Ashlee Simpson to sing to makes you my friend for life.

    I was singing that "I'll be your french maid" song of hers the other day and my co-workers are NEVER going to let me live it down.

    You rock.

     
  • At 5:43 PM, Blogger Lauren said…

    That was amazing and really cheered my blahs. It also reminds me of when I was in 9th grade and LOVED Alanis and would listen to the cd and sing along with a microphone to try to sound like her (sometimes I would record it to figure out what I did wrong). I stopped singing after that I heard what I sounded like.

    That was very brave of you.

     
  • At 1:07 PM, Blogger Bones said…

    Aww! Less talking about my charm and wit and more treating me like an object. Women may hate it, but guys love it!

    And thats a great audition. If Idol ever comes to Midlothian, you're so going to hollywood. I could probably go, too, but as you so kindly pointed out, I'm old.

     
  • At 11:44 PM, Anonymous alyndabear said…

    I'll vote for you! *bows*

     
  • At 11:32 AM, Blogger Sarah said…

    You rock and that's that! :)

     
  • At 12:49 AM, Anonymous Aimee said…

    OMG this is the GREATEST POST EVER. But seriously, could your song be more depressing? Can I request L-O-V-E instead? :) hee!

     
  • At 3:18 PM, Anonymous Erika said…

    I'm wishing I could take a picture of Evan's face as we are listening to this but the webcam is not working...the highlight of our day!!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home