The Good Kind of Dorky

 

Friday, January 19, 2007

Show and Tell or Self Deprecation? You Decide.

Finally the weekend is here! What better way to kick off these two precious days away from the boredom that has become my life than with embarassing pictures from my past. Before we move on to the pictures allow me clarify...it's not that my whole life is boring, I'm just not enthusiastic about work right now. It's the whole post-holiday slump I think because, truly, I do like my job.

I asked my mom to look for pictures from my awkward stage. You know what I'm talking about. For me, it all happened around seventh grade. She kindly agreed to scan the best (and by best I mean worst) pictures she could find. She was such a good sport about it. Here is what she sent. Thanks, Mom.

Here I am (left) with Mom and Sara. It appears to be Mom's birthday and nothing says "Happy Birthday" like a toilet scrubber. What a thoughtful daughter I am! Anything for you, Mom!

Wow, this one totally shows off my sexy bangs and bang-swoop, which was generally hardened with hairspray. My braces were totally hot too, but not as hot as my beyond the grave complexion. That's the longest my hair has ever been. If you ever wondered what my natural hair color is, there you go! I haven't seen it in years. I wonder why I didn't have a boyfriend?

And here I am with my cousin and Sara. Apparently I was growing out my bangs? I am totally rockin' the scrawny pale look with style.

This is my favorite picture of all (akward) time. The other sleeve of that Limited Too sweatshirt was red. Hey, it's a lot more conservative than the titty tops young girls wear today. Kids these days, I tell ya. Also, notice how my dad's hair gives him a striking resemblance to Christopher Walken.

Perhaps because she felt bad for me, Mom sent this picture and entitled it "swan." She just wanted to end on a good note I suppose or maybe she wanted to block out the fact that the above are pictures of the spawn of her loins and she is deeply ashamed.


I did go on to win prom queen later that night. All of those afternoons at the tanning salon were totally worth it.

16 Comments:

  • At 10:30 PM, Blogger Sarah said…

    Awwww...Randy. Your 7th grade self and my 7th grade self could have been friends. I just can't get over it: you were SO Pale! But gorgeous, of course.

    I will have to get some of my awkward stage pictures. We can bond over the bang flip.

     
  • At 11:11 AM, Blogger Sarah said…

    I think I might still be in my awkward stage. :(

    And I am jealous of the sweatshirt with one red and one yellow sleeve. Why don't they make awesome stuff anymore?

     
  • At 8:27 PM, Blogger Lauren said…

    Our 7th grade selfs could have also been friends. We could have also bonded over the beyond the grave complexions. :(

     
  • At 12:08 PM, Blogger local traveler said…

    Honestly Linds, I don't think that I could have picked you out of a seventh grade lineup. Well, the eyes would have helped! During my awkward stage, I had short hair because my mom didn't want me to grow it long. I was told on a few occassions that I looked like a boy. Great. It did wonders for the ego.

     
  • At 2:46 PM, Blogger Lindsey said…

    I know, how about all of our 7th grade selves can get together. We can have a club house, in a tree, with shading from the sun of course...and a sign that says "No Boys Allowed, Except for Stacia, Who is Not Really a Boy but Looks Like One" We can write in our diaries and play games and Stacia can do Tarot readings. Oh my gosh, this is the best idea I've ever had.

     
  • At 5:21 PM, Blogger Bones said…

    Ahem. boys got called four eyes, metal mouth and pizza face too.

    At my grandmothers funeral, we got out all the old pictures of the cousins, and lined them up. we had two votes- one for the worst individual year and one for the most successive akward years. My cousin Karl won the worst individual year, but I won for most successive bad years. 7 in a row baby!

    And to add some poetic justice to the whole thing, my word verification is "awwwh".

     
  • At 6:44 PM, Blogger Erika said…

    OH. MY. GOD. LIMITED TOO? Do they still have that? EVERYONE had that sweatshirt. Everyone except me, but I remember it well. HOTTTT!

     
  • At 11:12 AM, Anonymous Aimee said…

    I can't get over your pastey-ness! Makes me remember why I tan. hee!

    I'll have to find my 7th grade self to be friends with. We had a club that met at my house...my dad was fixing up an old truck and we had a truck bed sitting in the side yard...so the girls and I met in the truck bed. We called it the Anonomous club because we couldn't think of a name. That might actually be the bad kind of dorky. LOL

     
  • At 11:54 AM, Blogger L Sass said…

    OMG... Limited Too!

    My awkwardest moment was returning to school in Eighth grade. My generous mom had just bought me a new wardrobe of Limited Too duds--colored jeans, matching flannel shirts and sweatshirts, a kilt (that I paired with logger boots)...

    ...and I realized that all the other girls had made the move to the Juniors department. Eek!

    I think your awkward self is cute!

     
  • At 3:26 PM, Blogger Cece said…

    I couldn't agree more about 7th grade being the most akward of the years. I think that was my dorkiest stage. Oddly enough, when I was looking for pictures to scan for Mind's hair contest I *knew* what I was looking for, yet i couldn't find anything. I don
    t think they took my pictue that year. LOL

     
  • At 4:21 PM, Blogger Lindsey said…

    Cece--yeah my mom had trouble finding many pictures of me during that stage. I told her that there was probably a reason she didn't take many...and probably burned most of the ones she did take! :-)

     
  • At 4:22 PM, Blogger Lindsey said…

    By the way, you all crack me up!

    Aimee, your club name is borderline, but because I like you, I will consider it the good kind of dorky.

     
  • At 3:37 PM, Blogger Carrie said…

    I was never this awkward. You've seen the pictures. I was way cool and would have beat you up. Good thing I grew out of it.

     
  • At 9:18 PM, Anonymous Jenny said…

    Even awkward you were adorable, you damn prom queen.

     
  • At 3:36 PM, Blogger Isabel said…

    Dude, I think you are too cute for words!!

     
  • At 12:39 AM, Anonymous sara said…

    you can go ahead and make fun of yourself all you want but i'd like to speak for myself by saying i have always been sexy

     

Post a Comment

<< Home