The Good Kind of Dorky

 

Wednesday, January 10, 2007

Who's My Daddy? You're My Daddy!

Just last night I was telling Edgar how I want to try to save money this year. At the very least I'd like to limit my spending to things I really want or need and refrain from buying random clothing/household/pointlessly adorable items from Target just because they are cute and/or cheap and/or I just feel like spending money because I had a bad day. Hell, I may even limit my trips to Target because let's face it, the merchandise practically screams, "Buy me." Okay, so it isn't always a scream--at times it is more of a slow seductive whisper. Do you know how deep and sexy Josh Turner's voice is? You know, that country singer? Well Target kind of has his voice. Get me turned on I'll do just about anything, including spending a minimum of $30 per visit. One time and you're hooked! Oh yes, Target has me coming back for more like a bad relationship that I just can't get enough of. You know, the ones you drunk dial at 1:00 a.m.? Well I decided enough is enough--the constant rendezvousing must stop. That is not to say that I won't go every now and then, i.e. when I need somewhere to hang out during my lunch break, but I have sworn to limit my visits.

Yes, I articulated this last night, in less words.

I felt in control.

I had won the battle. I was on top.

Well, Target apparently was not going to have it, because when I got home today I found this little love note in my mailbox.

Apparently Target does not like when it is not on top. This was almost as passive aggressive as my Letter From Claude. The damn booklet is full of deals on hair care products, feminine "items," my favorite Cover Girl mascara and even Swiffer Dusters. If that wasn't inticing enough, there is a coupon for buy one get one free Orbit gum. Yep, I'm fucked.

8 Comments:

  • At 10:23 AM, Blogger L Sass said…

    I advocate enjoying Target (with it's wonderful deals! and cute stuff!) while you can. Some day you may, like me, live in a land with minimal Target access and you may read other people's blog posts about Target and you may want to cry. Like me. Sniff.

     
  • At 1:21 PM, Blogger Carrie said…

    I got over that about 2 years ago. I spent my time at Target Anonymous and did all the steps and now I am free of Target. I am able to go to Target but only on occasion. I am very concious about what I buy and know when I have had too much.

    If you need a sponser, I would gladly take you under my wing.

     
  • At 2:13 PM, Blogger Cece said…

    I was JUST telling my friends, yesterday, that I have $30 in Target gift cards that are SCREAMING for me to spend. I WANTED to go shopping at lunch, but didn't b/c I KNOW I'll come back w/crap I don't need. Nope, I'll just save those cards for when I'm broke & we need toilet paper. LOL

    Wait. Now I'm pissed b/c I think Target likes you better b/c I didn't get one of those books in the mail. Whats up with that?!

     
  • At 3:56 PM, Blogger Frema said…

    We got the same thing. I bet we're there tomorrow, wandering aimlessly through the aisles.

     
  • At 4:09 AM, Blogger Bones said…

    when somebody finally re-makes Rain Man, the famous like from the film will be, "Target sucks, Ray."

    And it DOES suck. They have the same crap they sell at K mart, only merchandized better. Take off the Target Goggles. I did.

     
  • At 11:28 AM, Blogger local traveler said…

    I'm with bones on this one. Although it wasn't quite as clear to me. I was still sort of being a little sheep thinking, "I know I'm supposed to like this, but I really don't get it" and not knowing exactly why.

     
  • At 12:33 PM, Anonymous Aimee said…

    Poor girl! I understand. I used to work a hop-skip-and-a-jump from a Target. They are evil!

    And yeah, I have two of those polka dotted mugs too, only mine are blue and green.

     
  • At 4:33 PM, Anonymous Jenny said…

    Obviously they've tapped your house.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home