The Good Kind of Dorky

 

Monday, February 12, 2007

To My Potential Future Offspring: How I Met Your Potential Father

Edgar and I decided that for Valentine's Day we would give each other a $20 spending limit. Our anniversary is coming up at the end of February and we might go on a weekend trip somewhere and we'd much rather spend our money doing that then on Valentine's gifts. Come to think of it, our anniversary does not actually exist this year. It falls on February 29--leap day. We won't have a real anniversary until next year. I'm sure men everywhere are applauding Edgar on that one. Beginning our anniversary on leap day, I will admit, is man-brilliance at its finest. Too bad I took the liberty to pencil in the 29th on all of our calendars. Ha! Sucka. However, the reason we didn't start dating until the 29th also gives Edgar even more man-cred.

Let me give you a brief (okay, possibly brief...is it ever brief?) background as to how it all went down. Edgar and I met at the beginning of senior year at Hamilton College. I was a Resident Advisor (read: the good kind of dorky). At the beginning of the semester there was always a week long room freeze. This meant that if you decided that you hated your dorm room or roomate you technically had to deal with it for a week before you could go whining to Res Life to see about a possible legal room change. Well, this whole room freeze thing never really stopped anyone from switching rooms on their own. There were always a couple of students who started off the year by trying to pull a fast one on the RA, trying being the operative word. Many RAs, myself included, were pretty nice and just let it slide as long as they made the change legal at the end of the week. The kids who did this, no matter how nice I was, generally ended up being bad news...the ones I eventually had to write up...or call campus safety on...or make sure they got their stomach pumped in a timely fashion. Yes, I was that girl. I was the police. I was also the counselor too. I was always there for my advisees in a very positive way if they needed me.

Needless to say, Edgar was one of the "illegal room change" kids. The guy who was supposed to live in his room was someone I kind of knew because he dated a former advisee of mine. Well he had malaria or the flesh eating disease or something equally as terrible. Okay, it was malaria and malaria isn't, like, all that life-threatening, but whatever. I wouldn't want malaria, but I do thank it because it brought Edgar into my life. (damn you, malaria!)

Right off the bat, I thought to myself, "Edgar is going to be one of my problem children." I told him he had to do a legal room change by the end of the week. I've never had an advisee be so nice and actually go out of his way to make sure the room change happened ASAP. I think at one point I said I was worried because Res Life was telling us that we had to report any illegals (hahahahaha) and Edgar even said that if they caught him he would totally lie for me. That's hot.

Edgar didn't get caught and soon became one of my advisees. I was wrong--he did not turn out to be one of the bad kids either. His best friend Lubi lived down the hall and the three of us started hanging out together all of the time. Lubi is one of my best friends to this day. He is from Botswana. Athough they don't sleep in huts, it is possible to contract malaria, but I digress. About 3-4 months in, Edgar and I found ourselves in a very "beneficial" friendship, but I was not ready to be in a serious relationship again because I was enjoying being single after being in a 3 1/2 year relationship that had ended officially about a year and a half before and unofficially about 6 months before. I really did care a lot about Edgar, even though we said that we wouldn't let our feelings get in the way of our fun. WINK WINK. One of the things that attracted me to Edgar was how caring he was and how he would go out of his way for me if I needed him. For instance, once my car wouldn't start so he came and started it for me. Once I was driving said car home with my dad so we could get it fixed and it completely shut down not far from the college. Edgar came and bailed us out (or was it campus safety? I'm not sure, I think it was both). Regardless, whenever I needed him, he was there for me. And these things happened
before I put out so there was nothing in it for him. Go figure.

Edgar and I are the King and Queen of Drama. Scratch that. We
were the King and Queen of Drama. We were dramatic because we really cared for each other, but then I would resist falling for him or he would resist and we would play games. Lots of unhealthy games. It was like emotional malaria. The kind of malaria that makes one yell and scream and slam doors in a really dramatic "I'd rather be doing you right now" kind of way. I was a greeeaaat RA, can you tell? My poor advisees. Luckily they were all pretty cool and all juniors and seniors anyway. By February, after some ups and downs (no pun intended), I decided that I really wanted to be with him. It was like in the movie Clueless when Cher says, "I love Josh! I am totally butt crazy in love with Josh" If you don't know this scene then you are not my friend. It was an epiphany of sorts. Edgar also was feeling this way right around the same time. Okay, he would have gotten into a relationship with me long before, but let's face it, I was playing hard to get. Except for the sex part.

This brings us to February 28, 2004. I was working at the campus gym (I had a part time job there) and Edgar came to visit me before going out to party with his friends (I thought this was so sweet). I was thinking, "Oh my gosh, I want to tell him tonight that I want to be in a relationship with him--that it's really, really want I
really want. Really. Later that night after he left his frat party he came back to the dorm and came to my room to hang out. We ordered a sub because he had the munchies and we just hung out and watched TV. It was actually one of my favorite memories with him. Ironically, he brought up how he was thinking about us...and we talked about how we both were ready to be together. We could have started dating officially right then, but I was not going to start a relationship with a drunkard. What would I tell my children? Hell no. I told him that we'd sleep on it and if he still felt the same way in the morning then we'd be boyfriend/girlfriend. I did NOT realize what the date was. The man-gods must have been watching over Edgar that night or else we'd have an anniversary more than once every 4 years.

So that, my potential future offspring, is how it all went down.






So, did you think the RA/advisee thing was totally hot? Were you inspired?

You can thank me later.



His timing could not have been better. Edgar just yelled from the living room, "Baby, I think I need to be Hugh Hefner." Or there is always that fantasy...


..............................................................................................
Tuesday Update: Okay, I read this over this morning and realized I was not overly clear about how the malaria kid fit in. He was supposed to live in the dorm room, but he was coming back to campus late and wanted to live in Edgar's original room to be closer to some frat brothers and Edgar wanted to live in my dorm because he wanted to be in the same dorm as Lubi. Edgar had lived in the same dorm a couple years prior and really liked it. I just wanted to clear that up. Sorry, but the malaria is killing my brain cells.



17 Comments:

  • At 10:24 PM, Blogger janet said…

    that's funny..the first time I ever talked to Andrew was Feb 28th (but 2003). But we didn't start dating "officially" until June.

    We had an RA who tried to get with one of my roommates but it never did happen!

     
  • At 3:23 AM, Anonymous alyndabear said…

    I think it's beautiful! We don't really have RA's or live in dorms for university here, so it seems very "American" to me. But sweet.

    I've never met anyone with an anniversary on Feb 29th! A first for me.

     
  • At 12:14 PM, Anonymous Aimee said…

    The whole RA/advisee thing is very chic. It's like that whole boss/secretary thing. Good job! ha!
    (see, even Hef would like that!)

    Mark was really nice before I put out too. LOL

    I swear we're on the same wavelength this week. I was going to email you to see if you had posted a "how we met" story. I mean, since I had you dating someone else. LOL

    btw, how'd that dream go? Anything good to report? :)

     
  • At 12:31 PM, Blogger L Sass said…

    I love it!!! The malaria metaphor throughout is very cute. :) I am slightly concerned that you improperly wielded your RA-influence to get with him, but it seems like it all worked out for the best!

    Love is in the air!

     
  • At 1:41 PM, Blogger Bones said…

    I was also an RA. In one year with 18 residents I had a suicide attempt, 2 eating disorders, one come-out-the-closet-and-leave-school episode, a weird bisexual love triangle, 3 guys try to make extacy with a recipe from the internet (one of them died and was revived with CPR, and another was blind for 3 weeks) and nobody ever did the dishes. I couldn't have imagined wanted to date any of them.

     
  • At 3:23 PM, Blogger Carrie said…

    Being that I never "went" to college, I can't relate or understand what a RA is. But I know all about playing hard to get. I've known Adam since I was 13 and I am going to be 33 this year. Yikes! When we were both single we immediatly knew.

     
  • At 7:55 PM, Anonymous Jenny said…

    Totally, totally hot.

    But tell me...were you wearing a catholic school girl outfit with a riding crop?

     
  • At 10:20 PM, Blogger Cece said…

    Cute story! I love learning about my bloggin' friends.

    I'm afraid to tell the story of how Mister & I met. I'd be afraid of loosing some of my nice, married, lady bloggers. LOL

     
  • At 2:35 PM, Blogger Carrie said…

    Oh Cece, people that would judge you are people that you wouldn't want to be friends with anyway. *hugs*

     
  • At 3:01 PM, Blogger Lindsey said…

    Seriously Cece, I completely agree with Carrie. I'd love to hear your story.

     
  • At 4:57 PM, Anonymous Aimee said…

    Hi Lindsey! Happy Heart Day!
    I would like to create a blog post titled, "how i potentially kicked Lindsey's ass because she doesn't post often enough"

    I haven't yet. but I might. :P
    :)

    ::lurve::
    Aimee

     
  • At 5:31 PM, Blogger Cece said…

    I'll write that post...one day.

    Oh & I love Aimee's idea for a blog title! LOL

     
  • At 8:16 PM, Blogger Lindsey said…

    Lurve you Aimee...lurve all of you! I'll post more okay and I'll comment on all of your blogs more too!!!

    I know, I have been a very bad blogger!!!

     
  • At 12:04 AM, Anonymous sister sara said…

    "What would I tell my children?" this line also referred to Clueless.. ya know the part where Dionne is pissed that Murray is having his head shaved at the party, and shes like, what am I gonna tell our children? ya know what, I'm calling your mother!!

     
  • At 4:30 PM, Blogger Erika said…

    Of course the RA thing is hot. I know I've told you that J was my orientation adviser AND and RA (although not mine, what a slut you are with your co-ed dorms. GASP!). HOTTTTT!!

    I have a friend whose wedding anniversary is 2/29, which her husband picked so he wouldn't have to "remember" their anniversary every year. She "let" him pick it and didn't think it through. Damn those men!!

     
  • At 4:31 PM, Blogger Erika said…

    That should say "orientation adviser and A RA"

     
  • At 8:09 PM, Blogger Sarah said…

    I can be your friend! I remember that scene! Although I kind of suck at keeping up with the blog world lately. Sorry about that.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home