The Good Kind of Dorky

 

Saturday, March 03, 2007

Probably The Best Marketing I've Ever Seen

Last week I was in CVS. I had to pick up tampons because it was that lovely, inevitable time of the month (Is this TMI? Well get over it. These things happen.) While I was there I decided to look around, check out the make-up to see if anything was on sale, you know, the usual. I passed the candy aisle and was delighted to find a bowl of sample Hershey Kisses. Oh how I love samples! I love them so much because they are free and who doesn't like free chocolate? Carrie maybe, but that's beside the point. I had a chocolate or two and maybe shoved a couple in my purse for later. Don't judge me. I waited until I was ready to leave to hit the feminine product aisle because, although I am not embarassed to carry around a box of tampons, I like to limit the amount of time I am advertising the status of my who-ha.

As I started walking toward the tampons I stopped dead in my tracks over the sight before me. Right across from the Depends and next to the Tampax was another bowl of Hershey kisses. I felt like I had hit the jackpot. To begin with I was cranky and cramping and tired, not to mention that I was heavily craving chocolate. I couldn't believe it. I thought maybe I had missed chocolate in the other aisles so I walked back through the store to see. Nope. The only other ailse besides the candy aisle that offered free chocolate was the feminine product aisle. If I were a weaker woman I would have been tempted to buy a whole bag of Hershey Kisses (instead I stuffed the equivalent of a bag into my purse).

Today I was back at CVS to pick up a few things and I remembered the chocolate. Was it random that I was pretending to look at tampons and I only left with a handful of Kisses? Maybe. But the important thing was that a light bulb went off and I couldn't believe I hadn't blogged about this--the most brilliant marketing plan I've ever seen. Put chocolate in a place where you will catch women at their most vulnerable state and give them a sample of chocolate. They will be so weak in will that they'll just have to head over to the candy aisle, where they will be given another sampling just in case they were starting to talk themselves out of taking the plunge into chocolate paradise.

Do I think this marketing scheme is a lot like giving crack to a recovering addict? Maybe. Do I think this is the most brilliant marketing I've ever seen and the person who designed the plan deserves a raise? You better believe it.

13 Comments:

  • At 6:05 PM, Blogger 1 Corinthians 13:4-7 said…

    LOL...I so agree with you! I've Nvr thought of that before, and who ever thought of it is eather a genious or a mad man for putting insain amounts of chocolate in an area where women are going to instantly want it!

     
  • At 7:20 PM, Anonymous alyndabear said…

    Chocolate.. Tampons.. Hmm.. What to choose..

     
  • At 10:54 PM, Anonymous Aimee said…

    OMG that's genius! And should I tell you how much I love you again?! Because 1) Love this line "don't judge" and 2) who-ha. totally my word too.
    ::hugs:: lol

    Random question: Do you have Anna's ass yet? :)

     
  • At 11:49 PM, Blogger janet said…

    brilliant!

    maybe we should open up a store that only sells those two things, and is decorated in all pink and has nice smelling candles all over the place.

     
  • At 2:07 PM, Blogger Bones said…

    It may work for women, but I dont think id eat free porterhouse steak if they were giving it away next to Ben Gay.

    or maybe thats just me, who knows

     
  • At 3:14 PM, Blogger Chiada said…

    I love that cartoon. It says it all.

     
  • At 7:34 PM, Anonymous Jenny said…

    Ha! I love it.

    It would only be a better campaign if they were peanut m&m's.

     
  • At 1:34 PM, Blogger Carrie said…

    Look at you all teasing me about chocolate. For your information I bought two boxes of Girl Scout cookies. Tagalongs (chocolate covered penut butter cookies) and Thin Mints. I think the chocolate thing might have something to do with the smoking thing and taste buds. I don't crave it and it isn't like gold but it tastes okay now.

    I miss you when you don't post so stop doing that. And if you are going to talk about naughty things, you need to change your picture. There is something weird about reading what you say in comments and seeing a little girl. :) love ya!

     
  • At 4:06 PM, Blogger Lindsey said…

    Carrie--You might be right. I'm not that innocent little girl anymore. I am a badass adult now. I might just take your advice and change it!

    Jenny--They didn't have peanut M&Ms, but they had peanut butter hershey kisses!!

    Aimee--you KNOW I love you too.

     
  • At 5:12 PM, Blogger Cece said…

    I swear we must be related. lol I was thinking Hmmm, wonder if she emptied the dish into her purse. lol

    That was me yesterday. I made myself a chili dog & a serving of that gross (yet equally yummy) store bought deli style potato salad (you know what I'm talking about, right?). In addition to that I had baked crackers & grabbed a HANDFUL of candy then proceeded to sit my ass on the couch & REFUSED to share candy with my kid. She thought I was playing, too, until she reached across me & I bit her. (I'm totally playing about that last part but ya never know!)

    Good post!

     
  • At 11:00 PM, Blogger Frema said…

    That's some sneaky stuff! Good for you for sticking it to The Man and just stealing the samples. Aunt Flo hostesses, unite!

     
  • At 12:25 PM, Blogger L Sass said…

    I am much more concerned by the fact that tampons and Depends are in the same aisle. That just bothers me!!

     
  • At 7:25 AM, Blogger PLD said…

    True genius!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home