The Good Kind of Dorky

 

Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Let's Get Our Fash On

Phew! My golf tournament is over and it went really, really well! Today is the first day I can actually relax and not have to eat, sleep and breathe golf. Now maybe my life can get some normalcy back in it. I started a post a few days ago and it has just been sitting here, minimized on my computer, waiting for me to return. Well, here I am. Now let's get on with it.

I think it's time we talk about something a little fluffy and insignificant--a much needed change after the week's tragic events. How about we talk about Jessica Simpson? I love Jessica I really do and I respect and support many of her decisions. Recently though she made a decision that no matter how hard I try, I cannot back her on.



High-waisted pants, no matter how "trendy" they may be right now...VETO. I am not okay with this look. Jessica is a small woman (the exception being her boobies), but this look makes her look like she has a lady belly lump, about 30 years premature. Her boobs look saggy with the shirt all tucked into her silly pants. Not cute Jessica, not cute at all. I don't think that pants have to be so low that one has butt cleavage, but that there (said with a Southern accent) is just way too high. Is there anyone out there who actually thinks this look is cute? Would you give this look a try?

One look that has been around for a couple of years, but I have noticed is huge in the stores this Spring is the bermuda shorts. I've held off on these because I hadn't found any that looked right on me and I just wasn't sure about them. Now with them for sale in just about every store, I decided it was about time to give in. Did I even have an option?

I just bought these from New York and Company aka Lerner. It's hard to tell from this picture, but they have thin pinstripes.

I'm debating whether or not I can get away with wearing them to work. I wish they had a little matching jacket. That would be hot. This is one trend that has definitely grown on me. I tend to like a lot of trendy styles, but my overall look can probably be described as classic with a hint of trendy. And things that sparkle are always in fashion. Obviously.

.......
Edited to add: The proof that I started this post on Wednesday...the post date is Wednesday and it is really Friday night. Sad.

15 Comments:

  • At 11:55 AM, Blogger Carrie said…

    Aha! But Jessica may be on to something. Maybe she is starting a new trend. Maybe she wants to be the good kind of dorky. Pretty soon even you will be wearing the stylish maternity/mommy pants. I however will skip it because I am not a fashion queen.

    Now I love bermuda shorts. The first time I tried them on, I HATED them but there wasn't much options. It is almost a forced fad. Mine aren't as stylish as your pick. Your pick should totally be work wear if you had some really cute dressy shoes with them.

     
  • At 1:06 PM, Blogger Lindsey said…

    Yeah I agree, Carrie...they really are a forced fad. You hit the nail on the head with that one! If I am ever wearing high waisted pants like that, please slap me though.

     
  • At 1:30 PM, Blogger janet said…

    Congrats on your golf tourney! Hopefully you can relax this weekend in the most gorgeous weather ever! I love those pants, I'd prob get a pair myself if I lost like 10 lbs....

     
  • At 2:07 PM, Blogger alana said…

    Thumbs down on the highwaisted pants.

    (But thumbs up on the cute bermuda shorts!)

     
  • At 5:19 PM, Blogger L Sass said…

    I think Bermudas are awesome! I always feel self-conscious wearing short-shorts in NYC--who knows what you might catch on the subway--but Bermudas feel chic and modest to me. And I think they have a lengthening effect like a pencil skirt.

    High waisted pants, however = NO

     
  • At 6:33 PM, Anonymous alyndabear said…

    If Jessica can attract Mayer in THOSE pants, I should be able to score too. ;)

     
  • At 12:38 AM, Blogger Aimee said…

    First - HATE Jessica. Worthless piece of skin that one. Second, who needs a bra when your pants will totally reach that high? I mean, hello?!

    Third - LOVE those shorts. an adorable girl wearing those exact pants paired them with black heels, and a white t-shirt with a patent leather belt and black beaded necklace. OMG so cute! She was like the sales rep for our copy machine or something. heehee.

    I had a pair of bermudas from last season - they fall off me now! woohoo!

     
  • At 2:37 PM, Blogger Chiada said…

    Jessica's pants look reeeally bad on her. But your pants you just bought are SO CUTE!! I want some, too, but have been worried about how they'd look. I recently bought a khaki pair of thin sueded cotton cargo bermuda shorts, but I haven't worn them yet since the weather is a bit chilly. But, yeah, some denim ones would be super cute. And I'm with you on the "classic with a hint of trendy, and sparkle, obviously". :D

     
  • At 4:44 PM, Anonymous Maya said…

    Jessica clearly has lost that one last brain cell and is now surviving on hair dye and poor fashion choices. Never will a pair of pants anywhere NEAR that come close to my oh-so-short abdomen. Gag.

    Now .... Bermuda shorts: Yes, if you are hipless and very long legged like the model (and I'm guessing you, Carrie). Otherwise, fuggetaboutit. Of course, I've eschewed shorts of any kind for many years - I vote on the Euro ticket for that one: (Shorts bad. Skirts good, linen pants good in hot weather)

     
  • At 11:30 AM, Blogger Julie said…

    Ew.
    High Waisted Pants. Ew.

    I love bermuda shorts also. As for a jacket, i just bought a really cute short sleeved jacket from Ann Taylor Loft that I have worn a few times in 2 weeks. It smashes up my outfits.

    :)
    If I do say so myself.

     
  • At 7:49 AM, Blogger Frema said…

    Oh, those pants are cute. They are totally work-appropriate! And I agree with your thoughts on JS's high-waisted pants. I also hate her hair color right now. What do you think?

     
  • At 4:52 PM, Blogger Isabel said…

    You can totally wear them to work. I do a few times a week. Even with black nylons and heels. CUTE.

    And JS pants? GROSS.

     
  • At 8:29 PM, Blogger The "Mind" said…

    That is such a horrible look. But really, most stars get caught in some horrible clothing and not just when they are out trying to be inconspicuous. Nope, they'll show up at a movie premiere or a club wearing the most gawd-awful stuff.

    Eh. Not sure I can do Bermuda shorts either. I might try them, but I have a feeling I'll look as good in them as I do in capris...which is about as good as Jessica looks in that mess at the beginning of your post. Bad, bad, bad.

     
  • At 5:32 PM, Blogger Erika said…

    I resisted the bermudas at first but they were perfect last summer after I had Evan. Nobody wants to see my thighs even when I didn't just finish carrying and giving birth to an 8 lb. baby. This year I am FULL ON BERMUDA BABY, and newly returned to size 8!!

    I'm interested in the golf tournament. Were you in charge of the whole thing? My new job is mostly project management and I'm nervous...feel like I'm on the Apprentice...

     
  • At 9:58 PM, Blogger J in Ric said…

    hey... what golf tourney did you work on?

     

Post a Comment

<< Home