The Good Kind of Dorky

 

Friday, April 13, 2007

A Nice Compliment

Yesterday, I got one of the nicest compliments I've ever received. The man who works in my office with me (literally in the same office, but he is the construction manager so he's usually not there) and I were chatting and somehow we got to talking about age. He told me that he was really suprised that I was only 25 because he thought I was at least 30. Now, this came as a shock to me because generally people think I am about 5 years younger than I am, not 5 years older. Usually this doesn't bother me because I am hoping that when I am 50 that I still look 45. My parents look young for their ages, especially my mom (hi mom!) The only time when looking young bothers me is when I am the only one in the group who gets carded. I have actually said, "You are kidding, right?" to my waiter before. He wasn't kidding, but I digress. So after Mr. Contruction Manager said that, he then quickly said not to be offended. He told me that what he meant was that I come across as older because of how I carry myself and because of my professionalism. Me? Professional? Not that I think I am unprofessional...it's just that I can be goofy sometimes and I try not to take myself too seriously. But it was such a cool compliment because no one has ever said something like that to me before. Thanks, Mr. Contruction Manager!

15 Comments:

  • At 10:51 AM, Blogger L Sass said…

    Actually, I totally picture you as very professional!!

    People often think I'm 30 instead of 25... I'm not sure if that's a bad thing or not. I think it correlates to how I carry myself more than my actual appearance, so hopefully I won't be 45 and look like 50!

     
  • At 11:50 AM, Blogger Carrie said…

    25? You suck! I'm going to be 33 next month.

    That was cool of him to explain. I got carded last night at the wine store.

     
  • At 12:22 PM, Blogger Chiada said…

    During my teenage years, people always thought I was a few years older than I really was. When I was 15, they thought I was 18. Now that I am 29, most people think I am a bit younger, somewhere around 26 or 27. Not too shabby, eh?! I'm fine with that! My Hub-E has always looked younger than he is, which is a good thing since he is 8 years older than me, hehe.

     
  • At 3:50 PM, Blogger Bones said…

    They think you look older? Shucks. There goes your next career as a NARC. Just think, you could have been planted in some Richmond area high school where you were supposed to use whatever means necessary to seduce the high school drug dealers into telling you everything.

    What a shame. The boys at Midlothian High School don't know how much they are missing out.

     
  • At 6:25 PM, Anonymous Motherload said…

    (Hi Nonny) What would you like me to buy for you for saying I look younger than my years? :-)

     
  • At 10:36 PM, Anonymous alyndabear said…

    That is very sweet - some people would be all offended, but I always like to hear that I'm more mature. ;) (At least I can pretend!)

     
  • At 9:42 AM, Blogger Angela said…

    I'm 25, and there are many times when people actually think I'm in high school, around 16 or 17. This totally bothers me. I don't mind if they think I'm like 20 or something, but a teenager?

     
  • At 8:41 PM, Anonymous Motherload said…

    I don't know if you remember (or still have) the note Ms. Bentley wrote to you for graduation. She referred to you as being an 'old soul'... wise and mature beyond your years. You always carry yourself very well, are polite, caring and know the right things to say. You make us proud every day. :-)

     
  • At 9:44 PM, Blogger Aimee said…

    Awww, mommy is nice.

    Funny, because people usually say I look younger than I am. Unfortunately, I also sound younger (on the phone especially) I blame this on my, uh, like(!) California casual way of speaking. hee.

    Compliments are always nice. Especially when someone compliments me on my hot ass. LOL

     
  • At 9:02 AM, Blogger Mama Drama Jenny said…

    You're only 25? You blog much older than 25.

     
  • At 2:19 PM, Blogger Carrie said…

    I think your mom is sucking up to you. I bet she used to tell you, you were the prettiest girl in the world. Well my mom told me that too and I am older than you so what does that tell you.

     
  • At 6:18 PM, Blogger Lindsey said…

    Whatever Carrie, I AM the prettiest girl in the world!!!! If my Mommy said so, it must be true!

    Wait, I don't think my Mommy actually ever said that to me. DAMNIT CARRIE!

     
  • At 6:21 PM, Blogger Lindsey said…

    Thank you Mommy for your kind comment. I do remember that card and I think I still have it somewhere. It is probably in a box at your house! That was one of the most meaningful cards I've ever gotten. Actually one you gave me once is my all time favorite and it's with me here!

     
  • At 10:07 PM, Blogger Julie said…

    So when I was 15 everyone thought I was 21.

    Now that I am 23 everyone thinks I'm 16.

    JEEEZ I Can't win!!

     
  • At 10:08 PM, Blogger Julie said…

    OKAY.

    Maybe not 16.
    Maybe 18.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home