The Good Kind of Dorky

 

Monday, April 09, 2007

Random Acts of Kindness

It was so nice to have a three day weekend, but now it's back to the grind at work. I have a lot going on and our first golf tournament is next week. Eeek! I hope it doesn't look like it did on Saturday morning come next Thursday.

This is the view from my back porch, overlooking my neighbors' yard. WTF, Virginia?

Well the point of this post wasn't to complain about work or talk about the weather. So, what is the point? I'm so glad you asked.

About a week ago my neighbor from across the street knocked o
n my door to see if Edgar and I could take his picture with his two cousins who were in town for a visit. We gladly went outside and took their picture. Afterwards, when we were about to leave, my neighbor went inside and cut the homemade lasagna he had just made in half and gave half of it to us. The half he gave to us he left in the dish, which says to me, "I trust you to return it." I haven't yet, but I will. Let me tell you, the lasagna was soooo goooood.

When I moved to this neighborhood, I thought to myselfOh my gawd, I am surrounded by rednecks." The lasagna guy actually isn't a redneck as much as he just a blue collar kind of dude, but some of my other neighbors are definitely rednecks, straight up. The thing is, I have never experienced such random acts of kindness as I have from those who I initially judged and wrote off as "not as good as me." One time my next door neighbors (redneck father/son duo) mowed my lawn when we were too busy, er, um lazy, to do it ourselves. He (the son) did it just because he had a little extra time on his hands. I thanked him by baking cookies for him. At Christmas I brought the father redneck a poinsettia "just because" and he hugged me and gave me a kiss on the cheek and was so genuine when he said in his gruff I 've smoked like a chimney every day of my lifevoice, "Thank ya, honey. Thank ya so much." I could tell it truly meant a lot to him. I just hope at the end of the day that these folks know how much they truly mean to me and how they've taught me to go out of my way for others just a little bit more and to judge others just a little bit less.

9 Comments:

  • At 8:05 AM, Blogger Erika said…

    Sweet!! The lasagna looks DELICIOUS and it's only 8:07am here.

     
  • At 10:00 AM, Blogger L Sass said…

    Anyone who dishes out free lasagna is a good egg in my book.

    Also, can spring please please please arrive already? Thank you, spring.

     
  • At 10:53 AM, Anonymous Aimee said…

    That's such a nice post. How cool would it be to have nice neighbors. When you're worried about your rednecks, think of me out here in the ghetto. The knocks on my door are the lady across the street or her kid wanting 1) a cigarette or 2) to borrow the phone. ACK!

    I love the backyard view! Pretty!

     
  • At 12:37 PM, Blogger Chiada said…

    First of all, I can't BELIEVE that that is the view of your backyard in the middle of April!!! That just goes to show how ignorant I am of weather patterns in other places of the world. Around here we've all been complaining and grumpy because it's been extremely windy and "chilly" at 63 degrees.

    Secondly, that's so awesome about your redneck neighbors. My sister moved from our "city" of 100,000 to a little town of around 25,000 that is definitely country all the way with lots of trucks and boots and dusty jeans. Her neighbors, although they looked like a rough bunch, were actually the nicest people and took care of her so much when her husband left her. They looked out for her like they were relatives and helped do all sorts of stuff. Having good neighbors is such a bonus. Ours are pretty good too. But, then, we do live on the very south end of town in the older "oil field workers" section, LOL.

     
  • At 12:49 PM, Blogger Bones said…

    MM redneck lasagna. did you Ask him what kind of meat was in it? Squirrel is mighty tastey with pasta.

     
  • At 3:47 PM, Blogger Carrie said…

    LOL. My family are rednecks but then really a lot of people are here. I'm not though. I promise. Oh and Adam is not either. Now my brother can't seem to shake it. Rednecks are pretty good people. They are just dumb. That lasagna looks fantastic. I am making it next week from "The Minds" recipe.

     
  • At 11:17 PM, Blogger Julie said…

    So did you return the pan yet??
    I'm dying to know!

     
  • At 12:18 AM, Anonymous alyndabear said…

    Oh YUM. Lasagne! Bad for WW, but good for bellies. ♥ Yummmmm.

    Am glad you're still around, you must post more Miss Lindsay! And your neighbours sound really sweet.

    Snow? Gah! Jealous!

     
  • At 12:50 PM, Blogger Cece said…

    It warms my heart to know there are neighborhoods like that, still. Here? No. The only reason I'm friendly with my neighbors on my right is because I'm related to them! lol We've been at our house for 7 or 8 years & don't really associate w/many of our neighbors. One family, yes, b/c my gma has been friends w/them for 20+ years. And our front neighbors are family friends of ours. Other than that, nope.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home