The Good Kind of Dorky

 

Monday, April 16, 2007

Sounding preachy and cliche is a risk I'll have to take on a day like today

I had an idea for a post, but I really can't attempt to be funny right now or write anything happy. As I'm sure you know, a gunman killed 32 people at Virginia Tech today. Maybe because it happened in my state, but mostly because I find the whole situation to be just plain sad, I can't help but be glued to the television waiting for more "breaking news." I keep imagining myself when I was at college (I didn't attend Tech) and what it would have been like if that happened to me or my friends. What I've been thinking about the most though is what it must be like for the families, the parents. What if my parents got a phone call and the voice on the other end told them that their daughter had been killed in a massacre. It's unreal. I know people get calls like that everyday, whether it be a car accident, an illness, or the reality of war and all of those situations are just as tragic, but a massacre is truly hard to comprehend.

I found myself praying today. Not just today, but lately, I've been making sure to thank God for each day he gives me and for all of the days he watches over my loved ones. I've been trying not to live with so many worries and fears, but on days like today, it's hard not to. When I went to the gym tonight I watched people walk in the door and crossed my fingers that they weren't going to start shooting. I know we can't live in fear because it will hold us back from living, but the truth is, I start having anxieties about flying the very moment I book a flight. In fact, I'll be traveling to my sister's graduation in May and I'm already thinking about the flight. I'm anxious over the fact that I know I will be anxious. I know, insane! But what else can we do, but pray, make the best choices possible and simply, cross our fingers?

I (hopefully) will always be an optimist with a touch of realism. When I first meet someone I assume that they are good until they prove me otherwise. I know this sounds naive, but I refuse to live any other way. Obviously, one can't be so naive that safety is jeopardized, but in general when meeting a person for the first time I think it's fair to think the best. Even with all of the evil and bad in this world, I will always think that there is more good. I see good all around me all of the time and I am just so thankful that I'm alive and I'm thankful that you're alive. I'm thankful that no matter what happens, the good that is inherent in the human spirit will always come out on top.

There is however one thing I just haven't figured out quite yet. How do people do it--live their lives in faith rather than fear?

10 Comments:

  • At 7:48 AM, Blogger J in Ric said…

    i don't get it either, my head just can't get why someone would do this...
    it hits closer to home. one of the rvablogger's brother was one of the fatalities. If you can, keep Alicia Farrel and her family in your thoughts...
    (sigh)

     
  • At 10:46 AM, Blogger Aimee said…

    I think your attitude is spot-on. You can't live life in fear. I think we are all painfully aware that things can change in an instant. There is nothing that we can do to stop certain freak happenings. You can't really live if you're constantly worried about the "what ifs" The liklihood of it happening at all isn't very big - but the liklihood of it happening to you, is even smaller.

    I am not a great flyer either. Last time I flew, I met two girls in line and we grabbed our boarding passes and then hit the bar at 9 a.m. (woohoo!) We had turbulance and I screamed. it was really fabulous (but not so much for the guy sitting in front of me who got 1) and earful of scream and 2) his seat grabbed) :)

     
  • At 11:57 AM, Blogger L Sass said…

    I think you just wake up every morning, take a deep breath and live your life. After all, what else can you do?

    All you Virginians are in my thoughts and prayers right now, too.

     
  • At 12:05 PM, Blogger Julie said…

    I wish I knew girl.

    This may be cheesy but, lately, I have been DVR(ing) episodes of The Wonder Years (on everynight from 10-11 in case you're wondering).
    As I sit and watch them, I find myself wishing our world was more like it was 40, 50 maybe 60 years ago. Sure there were crazies then that did things like this, but there didn't seem to be all of things that we worry about everyday.

    OK, so there was war, but not the kind of war we fight now.
    Ok, so Vietnam can be compared to Iraq.

    Where was I going with this?
    :/

     
  • At 12:12 PM, Blogger Bones said…

    It's about what we chose to have faith in. Think about ice. If we pick think ice to have faith in, all the believing in the world isnt going to make it any thicker, and we're going to wind up wet if we walk on it. On the other hand, it could be a foot thick and we could be so afraid to get on it that we miss the chance to go ice skating.

    I'm glad that the God I have faith in seems like pretty thick ice.

     
  • At 5:21 PM, Blogger Carrie said…

    I'm ordering you to stay away from the TV. It causes damage, trust me. I'm doing a post about it on Thursday.

    I'll admit that when I heard, I thought of you. I'm glad that you are okay. It is sad for everyone else. I just don't like to see how it is effecting the rest of the people.

     
  • At 9:53 AM, Anonymous Heather said…

    Your post sums up everything I feel so well. How do we live our lives in faith rather than fear? I have no idea.

     
  • At 12:18 PM, Blogger Cece said…

    This whole thing is very scary. {{hugs}}

     
  • At 9:27 AM, Blogger Julie said…

    Hi.
    Um. So I know I'm kind of new to reading your blog and stuff and I know you don't post as often as we would like, but.
    Um.

    WHERE ARE YOU!?
    :)

    Hugs,
    Julie

     
  • At 3:58 PM, Blogger Lindsey said…

    I started working on a post just the other day and never finished. My golf tournament for work is OVER and so now I hopefully will be posting more, and finishing the post I was working on. I am sooo beat from that tournament...I need sleeeeppp. Thanks for hanging in there with me.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home