The Good Kind of Dorky

 

Sunday, May 06, 2007

College Daze

First of all, Carrie, you can't get mad at me for not posting very much last week because I did change my profile picture just so you didn't feel like you needed to shower after reading adult comments next to a picture of a little girl. Now it's the adult me all the way, just how you like it!

Right. So you can't be mad.

Last night I made manicotti for the first time. I'm not very courageous in the kitchen, my friends, but I'm trying to change that. After watching the Rachael Ray True Hollywood Story today I am more inspired than ever to try just a little bit harder. Last weekend I even made crepes for breakfast, so there you go! I'll be the perfect little homemaker/wife/mother before you know it.

I think I just threw up in my mouth a little bit.

Back to the manicotti, which did not induce vomiting. It was actually damn good, even with the fat free mozzarella and low fat ricotta. Of course I had to pair it with a red wine. Merlot to be exact. Mmm merlot. Edgar isn't a big fan of wine, especially not red wine so I was forced to drink it by my lonesome. Between drinking wine and choosing which man of Desperate Housewives I'd like to get to know (biblically), there have been a lot of things that I've been forced into lately. Well one glass of wine led to another and another and yes, then another. I didn't even drink the entire bottle, but I was good n' tipsy anyway. It is actually quite sad to see how much of a light-weight I have become now that I'm not drinking as often as I did in college.
At least in college I drank with other people. Last night I was a one woman show.

How easily I get tipsy makes me feel old. It also reminds me of one of my last nights at college. Finals were over and it was mostly just seniors left on campus. Edgar and I threw a party at our dorm. What a good RA I was! We mostly just hung out on the back porch and got totally wasted with our friends. Once I was sufficiently wasted, I somehow convinced myself that I was going to sleep in a bush that night because college was almost over and I had never passed out drunk and woken up the next day in a bush. I don't know where I got the notion that this was a normal thing to do, although I had heard stories about people passing out in the snow on their way back up the hill from a frat party. I guess I figured waking up in 70 or 80 degree weather in a bush sure beat hypothermia in the snow.

I picked out the bush I planned on sleeping with and made it very known to all around me. I picked out the bush I planned on sleeping with and made it very known to all around me. I get very repetitive when I'm drinking. And annoying. And annoying.

I never ended up sleeping in that bush, but I probably should have for the sake of this story. It still makes me laugh to think about the silly/stupid/unforgettable things we did in college. My sister, Sara, graduates in a couple weeks and when I look at pictures of her partying and acting completely idiotic, it makes me want to tell her not to worry about what's going to happen next. Everything works itself out so just be carefree and live it up with your friends one last time because once you step off that campus with your diploma, it is never going to be the same again. Hold tight to those final days with all you've got. I've been out of college for only three years and I find it astonishing to see how much my life has changed. My life is filled with much joy, but every so often I am overcome with nostalgia--the kind that manifests in physical pain. There are parts of each of our pasts that we'd never wish to relive, but then there are the times that were so good we keep coming back to them. We're never going to get those moments back, but we'll try with all we've got to relive them because we want to have that feeling just one more time. But maybe that's okay. Maybe trying to relive happy moments, however futile it may be, is just part of growing up. Maybe it is what keeps us young at heart.

So if you ever stop by to visit, rest assured that there is a bush with our names on it.

8 Comments:

  • At 10:52 PM, Blogger janet said…

    I passed out/puked in enough bushes/lawns in college to make up for the both of us and probably about 10 more, don't worry. That's the fun and the pain of going to college in New Orleans. As great as my life is now, I really do miss those days...

     
  • At 5:32 AM, Anonymous alyndabear said…

    You sound like someone that I want to go drinking with. I'd totally sleep in a bush if someone told me it was a good idea at the time. And red wine takes me back to my Europe days (as you can see by the unflattering drunken photo)

     
  • At 8:05 AM, Blogger Erika said…

    I know, this month is 4 years since I finished college (officially) (I actually left in December of '02 but didn't walk until May) which means that I've been OUT as long as I was IN. It is too unbelievable. College felt like it would last forever, and it makes such an impact on your life afterwards you don't really feel as if you've left it behind. I just realized a few weeks ago that the kids graduating this year were in HIGH SCHOOL when I was in college. I see college athletes on TV and still think they're older than me.

     
  • At 12:14 PM, Blogger L Sass said…

    This reminds me of my senior year in college when my two roommates / BFFs and I made a point of going outside to pee together at every party. Now that, folks, is true friendship!

     
  • At 3:21 PM, Blogger Carrie said…

    You made manicotti? I have a wonderful roasted veggie/chicken manicotti.

    And my dear love, why would I ever give you a hard time? LOL Nice pic by the way.

    I started very young with the partying. I could still drink anyone under the table but dealing with the consequences isn't my forte. We will all get together and have a wild blogger party. Cece will bring the ice chest.

     
  • At 4:24 PM, Blogger Cece said…

    Are you PMS'ing? I ask b/c that post was all mushy & shit! lol

    I don't do wine. *shudder* I got tore up & won't do it again. Now Baccardi? That's a whole 'nuthr Oprah! lol

     
  • At 4:42 PM, Blogger Julie said…

    So yesterday was officially the one year anniversary of my graduation from college.

    So I held a vigil... No I totally didn't but I wanted to. I hope that your sister takes your advice, because it is true.

    The week before my graduation was a total blur. Lots of alcohol, a red sox game, a booze cruise, pub crawl and a champagne reception (on campus!) occurred and I was there for all. I mean I've seen the pictures!

    The day before my graduation was cinco de mayo, so imagine with me 3500 hungover/ still drunk graduates in the Fleetcenter at 8am.
    God I miss college!

     
  • At 7:31 PM, Blogger The "Mind" said…

    I missed the college party years. My college was spent juggling a full-time job, family and classes. Ugh.

    But that story is cracking me up. *shaking head and mumbling about the bush you were going to sleep with...*

     

Post a Comment

<< Home