The Good Kind of Dorky

 

Saturday, May 12, 2007

More Dress Talk

I'm back from my golf tournament, which went well and was a ton of fun, but as always it was a lot of work. Luckily, if the day after the tournament falls on a Friday, my boss pretty much lets us sleep in and then do whatever. My coworker and I went to the nearby mall to shop for an hour or so before we headed back to Richmond. Score! We were in Macy's and I found a cute, cute dress originally priced around $60, but on sale for $42. While I was paying for it the lady in front of me handed me her coupon (the ones that they have in the newspaper just about everyday) and told me to use it if I wanted, saving me an extra $10! So, I got a dress that I really like for just over $30!! It wasn't any special brand name, but that's okay with me.

I don't generally shop for specific brand names, unless I am looking specifically for a Polo shirt, a Coach bag or anything Vera Bradley. Sure, there are certain favorite stores I shop at like Ann Taylor Loft (love!) or Talbot's (Mom works there and gets a discount--it's a great place to find cute professional wear. Without the discount and Mom picking up the tab, I wouldn't be able to afford it. You also must possess the ability to rock the classic and/or preppy look. Trust me, I have no problem in that department) Enough parethetical statements about me. This blog is starting to sound like the Tyra Banks show.

There is Ralph Lauren and then there is Gap. There is Coach and then there is generic brand of purse from any department store. There is Monique Lhullier and then there is JCrew. You get the point. I occasionally shop JCrew for t-shirts ($10 each at the outlets!) or my annual flip-flop purchase, but as the years go by, their stuff just keeps getting more ridiculously expensive. And let's face it, some of the material is thin and not all that special. In fact, the dress I showed you a few days ago is priced at $495!!! What?! I know a lot of you were as shocked as I was! Since when was JCrew sooo "designer" that they think they can get away with charging $500 for a cotton patchwork dress?? I could see $100 at the very most. And for the record, I don't dislike the colors in the dress, but I would prefer it if it stopped above the knee. The length is just too much. Even if it did fall at the knee, I still don't think I would buy it, even if it were only $50. Miss Sassy Laurel said she saw the dress because she goes to JCrew practically everyday and that if she gets a chance she will try it on and take a picture for all of us to see. That would pretty much be the highlight of the year. Don't let me down, Laurel. Oh yeah, no pressure. :-)

I got to thinking, is there any article of clothing that I would spend $500 on? A wedding dress of course. Maybe, just maybe, if I got out of the non-profit world and into the corporate world, I could see spending that much on a nice suit if I were making 3-5 times more than I am making now. That is not to say that the non-profit world isn't corporatey, because it is. Don't be fooled. Maybe some non-profits aren't, but a lot of them are more corporate than you would think. I know quite a few of my readers know what I am talking about because they live it too, but I digress. Even for a sweet ass suit, $500 is a lot of money to spend. Have you ever spent $500 on an article of clothing? What clothing item would be worth that much to you?

10 Comments:

  • At 6:23 PM, Blogger Sarah said…

    $500 is way a lot. I don't think I could spend that much on any one thing, except maybe if I magically became rich? Then maybe a really nice coat or something that can last a long time. :)

    You seem to know about clothes and stuff! (lol!) I have to find a "mostly yellow" bridesmaids dress, and I am poor. Any suggestions where to look? I don't think it has to necessarily BE a bridesmaids dress. Just something nice enough for a wedding.

    And... I answered your comment on my blog, but realized you probably won't go looking back soon. I am driving to Utica everyday now. It isn't as bad as it could be, but it is almost an hour there and back.

    Sorry for writing you a novel. I'm running away now...

     
  • At 10:01 PM, Blogger Erika said…

    My wedding dress wasn't $500 so I don't think there's anything I'd spend that on. Not even a purse, because I like to switch around too much. Even today, I hemmed and hawed over a $30 bag at Target that is PERFECT for work since my current bag is lumpy, and falls over, and doesn't zip, and the shoulder strap is starting to shred, AND it was almost Mothers' Day, and I still felt like it was extravagant.

     
  • At 11:41 AM, Blogger Cece said…

    Girl,let me tell you something, not even my wedding dress cost that much. Nope. My mom bought my dress and I REFUSED to be sucked into the wedding-retail crap & let them screw my mom w/that "Oh its your wedding day! You only get married once!" bullshit. We hit David's Bridal $99 sale & that's where I got my dress. After alterations, I think my dress was about $175! So no, there's no article of clothing I'd spend $500 on.

    Then again, it could be b/c I'm a parent & can't fathom spending money like that, you know? If I had an extra $500 sitting around waiting to be spent I think I'd take my family away for the weekend.

     
  • At 8:50 PM, Blogger Chiada said…

    My wedding dress wasn't even $500, either, and I don't think there's any one article of clothing that I would spend $500 on.

     
  • At 9:50 AM, Blogger The "Mind" said…

    I would honestly be hard pressed to spend $500 on one item of clothing.

    Even a wedding dress, hell, my first wedding dress I got on uber clearance because the store was closing. So originally it was like $800 (in 1989) and I got the dress and the hat for just shy of $150.

    And if Pman and I ever get married, it's going to be (likely) an elopement with a huge hellified party about a month afterwards. So I still don't see spending $500 on wedding attire.

     
  • At 11:43 AM, Blogger Aimee said…

    I think I'm with the rest of the group - I can't think of anything I'd spend that much money on. Unless it was the PERFECT wedding dress.

    I was engaged before, and had bought a dress - it was $600 but it was FABULOUS. (the fiance, however, notsomuch)

    LOL

     
  • At 12:02 PM, Blogger L Sass said…

    Lindsey, I am DYING for engagement stories.

    Also: Operation Try On the Dress is launching at lunch. I brought my digital camera.

     
  • At 9:11 PM, Blogger Lindsey said…

    Yeah if it was the perfect wedding dress maybe, but other than that I actually don't think I'd spend $500 on one item...not even a suit I've decided. $500 is a lot of money.

     
  • At 9:38 AM, Blogger Julie said…

    500??
    Maybe on a pair of Manolos.
    But since I know that I will never be able to afford those, then I guess my wedding dress (if that ever happens).

    :)

     
  • At 6:24 PM, Blogger Isabel said…

    Fun game..

    If I had $500 to spend on ONE item I could spend it on a good purse.

    But dude, I've never spent that much on one item.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home