The Good Kind of Dorky

 

Saturday, May 26, 2007

Wedding Talk and a Meme

You are so lucky. Do you want to know why? Because you get to listen to me talk about wedding stuff for approximately one whole year and maybe even then some. Lucky you.

This weekend we really need to work on setting a date. I totally charted my cycle for the next year because I'll be damned if I have my period on my wedding day. Red is so not my color. There have to be other people who chart their cycle to determine a wedding date, right??? June 7, 2008 is our first choice, but we realize we have to be flexible. May 31 would work too, but Edgar doesn't like the idea of having our wedding on the last day of a month. I reminded him that we did start dating on leap day, which by the way happens again in 2008. He thinks it would be romantic to get married on February 29, but I say VETO to that. I do not want a February wedding, nor do I want to wait another four years to have a real anniversary. I guess to set the date we have to line it up with the church (which we have yet to actually join, although I realize this isn't a necessity) and then figure out where we want the reception to be held and make sure they have the date available. This is the part that worries me most because June wedding in Richmond pretty much sounds to me like it's going to be a huge hassle. Not only that, but last night I started having doubts about getting married in Richmond. Maybe we should get married in my home town instead (Cazenovia, NY). It would be nice and in terms of travelling, the majority of friends and family will have to travel as it is. I'm still leaning toward having it in Richmond, but I can't decide.

I pretty much have settled in my mind who I'd like to have in my bridal party. I've already asked my sister to be the maid of honor and I've asked Audrea (best college friend) to be a bridesmaid. Edgar's sister, Kilsy, will be in it too, although I haven't officially asked her yet. I actually know for sure who I want the other two people to be, but I am also afraid of hurting a couple of people's feelings. I just don't want it to get out of hand so I want to keep it down to 5 people. The people who I am choosing are the people who are closest to me and who I also feel will continue to be a part of my life. There are a couple of people who I'd like to have in the wedding because they mean so much to me, but like I said, I want to limit the number of people. I think I may ask them to do a reading during the ceremony. Also, the poet in me has chosen my bridal party for symbolic reasons. I don't think I will regret my choices.

Okay, enough wedding talk for one day. I promised Carrie and Julie that I would do the memes they tagged me for. Since they are so similar I will combine them into one. Julie's asks that I give 8 random facts/habits about myself and Carrie's asks that I give 6 weird/unique/unusual things about me. Therefore, I'll give 7 weird facts and/or habits about me. I did one like this awhile back. I'm too lazy to go back and see what I've written, so if I tell you something you already know please forgive me. Okay...

1. I have acquired a fear of flying. I'm not sure when exactly it started, but it was sometime within the past couple of years. Flying didn't used to bother me, but now I get really anxious before the flight and during it. Last week there was some turbulence on my flight and my heart was beating so hard I thought it was going to pop out of my chest. The fear makes for a very exhausting day. I wish I could find a way to make it go away. I think it's a control/lack of control issue, but let's not get into that right now.

2. I sucked my thumb until I was 12.

3. I dye my hair and haven't seen its true color (other than the roots) in probably 8 years or so. I generally dye it darker in the winter, but I feel more myself when it's blonde.

4. I hate sleeping naked. I won't do it.

5. When things are messy, I get really irritated.

6. Every now and then I call my mom before I go to work for her fashion advice.

7. I am more comfortable in my skin and at ease and happy with my body now than I have been in years (my body issues started at the beginning of college and have been something I've struggled with for a long time). I still have "fat days" occasionally, but overall, I'm proud of the time I put into working out and keeping my body healthy. I don't irrationally think that I'm fat anymore and I love how my body feels when I am moving or after a work out. It took me a long time to be able to write what I just wrote and actually mean it.

11 Comments:

  • At 12:30 PM, Blogger alana said…

    My fear of flying is acquired too! Totally recent. In fact, I didn't even know I had it until I flew to England at Christmas and white-knuckled it the whole way.

    Maybe it wasn't a wise decision to get hooked on Lost? All those flashbacks to the plane ripping apart....eep!

     
  • At 5:36 PM, Anonymous motherload said…

    "Good morning. Fashion hotline."

     
  • At 10:53 AM, Blogger The "Mind" said…

    If Pman ever gives the okay for a wedding, and that is a huge if, you bet your ass I will chart to make sure it won't be that time of the month for me.

    And if I do and my body does one of those funky adjustments a couple months before the wedding (like it does every now and again) you can bet my tube-tied ass is going to the doc for BC pills just to take care of that. LOL!

    Oh, and after three years running of taking a huge vacation at that time, I'm going to start charting for vacations. LMAO!

     
  • At 1:14 PM, Blogger Carrie said…

    OMG! You are going to ask me to be in your bridal party? I can't wait. Please don't pick strapless dresses, please. My girls don't like strapless. I need to start making plans. OMG. lol

    You know you can change your period with your birth control right? As much as I like to vacation, I always make a habit of changing it.

    Don't like sleeping nekkid huh? Me neither. I don't want to worry about being nekkid if someone breaks in.

     
  • At 1:15 PM, Anonymous Audrey said…

    I didn't chart my cycle when we set the wedding date, but I did check it out about 6 months before to make sure I was okay. And I thought i was. But then about 2 months before I checked again and my period was due to start on my wedding day! NOOO!!! So I talked to my doctor and she said, "no worries -- just skip those pesky little placebo pills in your birth control pack, and you'll skip your period that month." So I did, and it worked like a charm! (Thank goodness!) So if you end up having to shift your date due to church availability or anything else, don't worry -- you can still make it work!

    Also (hi, longest comment, ever!) I think your idea to include your other friends as readers is a great idea. That's exactly how I solved the "I want them in my wedding but i don't want that many bridesmaids" dilemma. I had 2 readers and a guest book attendant and a gift attendant. It worked out really well!

     
  • At 12:52 PM, Blogger Cece said…

    I started my period 2 days before my wedding. Niiice. Luckily I was stressed out that it was gone the day of the wedding. I got lucky, more than once that day. lol

    I haven't seen my true hair color in about 20 years! lol

    I only sleep nekkid when Mister & I are on vacation ALONE. I can't do it at home b/c I never know when one of the kids'll crawl into our bed in the middle of the night. YIKES!

     
  • At 2:58 PM, Blogger L Sass said…

    I 100% agree with the cycle-charting. Girl, you got to plan ahead!!

    I cannot wait for the next year and maybe then some of wedding talk. It is feeding my primal-wedding-needs!

     
  • At 3:53 PM, Blogger Mrs. Higrens said…

    First, I would recommend getting married in March. You never have to worry about sweating through your gown, even if it's a freak 70 degree day in Richmond. Also, it's not a typical wedding month like June so prices aren't so jacked up for flowers, caterers, reception halls, hotels, etc.

    Second, David's Bridal is evil. Go to Tiffany's Bridal off Broad St., behind the Jeep dealer. They can get pretty much whatever dress you want - and don't have horrible prices.

    (I came over here from "Sarah Says..." Congratulations on your Engagement!)

     
  • At 7:43 PM, Blogger Angela said…

    I've acquired a fear of flying recently too. I don't know what my deal is, but I really hate it now. Shudder.

    And I can't wait to hear more about the wedding plans -- I'm weird like that.

     
  • At 11:15 AM, Blogger Julie said…

    Dude.
    Summer in VA is hot hot hot.
    I was in a wedding in DC last July 31st that was scheduled to be outside.

    At the last minute they decided to move it indoors. Thank god.
    It was still so damn hot I was melting standing up there.

    I want details the whole length of the way. Even if you just e-mail them to me because no one else wants to know.

     
  • At 12:21 PM, Anonymous Stephanie said…

    Mrs. Higrins is right: avoid David's Bridal. I used it 'cause they PROMISED me they were "all over it" since I had bridemaids spread out all over creation. They were not. They ordered my size 2 sister a size 20 dress (I am SO not kidding!). They ordered my then 16-year-old sister a regular bridesmaid's dress instead of a junior bridesmaid's dress and then wanted to charge a FORTUNE to alter it. And the location my BFF in San Diego used just freaked out about a Texas wedding. We actually took her measurements, then I went to the location near me here in Houston, and we ordered her a dress and prayed. I don't even wanna talk about what I went through with my wedding dress.

    Anyway, I am going to ENJOY this year of wedding blogging!! I am very, very happy for you!! WOO-HOO!!!

    One other thing: we planned our wedding around my cycle, too. Guess what? All the nerves through off my hormones, and, yep. Fortunately, since I was off-schedule, it was over soon, and I got to enjoy half of my honeymoon. Good luck, Baby!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home