The Good Kind of Dorky

 

Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Maybe I'm not so gangsta after all

I really cannot tell you enough how much I appreciate your opinions and advice! Seriously, you guys rock! I'm kind of letting the money/dollar dance thing go for now and hopefully it won't come up again. If I HAVE to do it, I'll be a good sport about it (or at least try) because I suppose it isn't the end of the world, but at the same time I plan to stand my ground for the time being. I think if there is something else that Edgar really wants at the wedding that I don't want, I'll give in on whatever that may be so I don't have to ask for dolla bills ya'll. It's unreal how gangsta I am.

Speaking of gangsta, I am leaving Friday for NYC. Corona, Queens ain't ready for me. Actually I don't know if Edgar's aunt (who we are staying with) lives in Corona, but I think she is in Queens. Maybe she is in Jamaica, Queens like 50 cent (someone stop me from pronouncing that "fifty cent." Like I said, totally gangsta, or should I say gangster?)

Southside Jamiaca Queens __ ya heard me. Tell me you are with me on this one, people.

Anyway, I will be in NYC until Monday afternoon. We have the baptism for three of Edgar's relatives to attend. I would like to meet up with Sassypants, but I don't know when I will have free time...???

In other news, my SIL to be totally treated me like crap again and I totally just sat there...again. I swear I will speak up next time. It's just hard because I don't like conflict and I don't enjoy being bitchy. She, however, was in true bitchy form on Saturday night. We were all over at Edgar's mom's house for dinner. There were a bunch of us just hanging out, talking, etc. She wasn't being bitchy to me exclusively, but at this point she had already insulted our dog for not being pure bred like her dog (I know, right??? Who does that?) and the conversation had somehow turned to body size. Edgar's sister, has been trying to lose some weight. Our friend Danny said, "K*, you are looking really good." She said that she would like to lose 20 more pounds. Danny (who is Brazilian) jokingly made a comment about the white standard of beauty, etc. It wasn't insulting to me...it was very clear he was just joking. Then Danny said something about how I look really good and I said thank you. Apparently it's not okay for anyone to compliment me because SIL says, "Lindsey's too thin for my taste," in a really rude tone of voice. And did I say, you are too ugly for my taste? Or too bitchy? No, I sat there and said that I work out and I go by my body fat percentage and level of health instead of just shutting her up with a fiesty remark. Then she repeated that I'm too thin for her taste just in case everyone didn't hear the first time (Edgar and my MIL to be were not at the table at this point to stand up for me either). Then SIL says, "Well I guess the only people who have to be happy with how you look are you and Edgar." Okay, that pissed me off even more and I can't even exactly explain why. First, my goal of being in shape has nothing to do with Edgar. Edgar loved me when I was 35 pounds heavier. He will love me if I am 100 pounds heavier or lighter. Well not lighter, because I'd be dead, but you get my point. I know SIL's comment was total jealousy or insecurity or something, but I let her get under my skin again. UGH!

Thanks for listening to the nonsense that was today's post. I swear next time I talk about SIL I'll have a better story to tell. One where I come out on top.

Edited (already) to add: Dudes, I'm not even all that skinny! I would say thin or healthy maybe, but I have hips and some thighs, so let's face it, "skinny" is not a word to describe me. And SIL isn't even a large person!!! And if she were, who the f*** cares!?

20 Comments:

  • At 1:31 PM, Blogger Cece said…

    I seriously can't stand people like that. My sister & I joke that we hate all skinny girls but I would never say that with meaning! You're right, its jealousy, that's all. When she said you were too skinny for her taste you should've said Good thing you won't be tasting me! lol Eww, I just grossed myslf out!

    Have fun in NY! Buy me something! lol

     
  • At 2:06 PM, Blogger Beej said…

    Next time just say "Actually, I am just right. But thank you for your opinion."

     
  • At 2:56 PM, Anonymous Valerie said…

    Some people are just like that and will always be like that. Just make sure when you address it with her you stay nice and calm. You can't give people like that ANY ammunition against you.

     
  • At 3:18 PM, Blogger L Sass said…

    Ooh, that is super sucky. But Valerie is totally right, obviously SIL has some insecurities about herself--her appearance, her financial status, her dog (?) and the only way she can feel good about herself is by putting others down.

    I am going to the beach on Saturday but around on Saturday night and Sunday if you can squeeze me in... I am glad you are marrying into a Queens family. You'll have to visit more!

     
  • At 4:59 PM, Blogger Carrie said…

    You are doing exactly what she wants you to do. I wouldn't have said either thing. I think I would just take her aside and say something like, "I have a feeling that you don't like me for some reason, is that true?" It will at least make her feel guilty and aware of your family. But then again, I am passive.

     
  • At 8:27 PM, Blogger janet said…

    no more mr. nicegirl! that girl needs a smackdown!

     
  • At 2:41 AM, Anonymous alyndabear said…

    Gah.. I'm sorry SIL is being a cow. Whatever. *flips hair* We ALL know how stunning you are regardless of your size, so NYER to her.

    Compromise is your friend. Am proud of you!

     
  • At 8:34 AM, Blogger Frema said…

    You NEED to give this woman one good zinger. Just one. She'll be so shocked that she'd never do it again.

     
  • At 10:09 AM, Anonymous Motherload said…

    ok. I'm gonna go out on a limb here. While SIL was clearly being her usual self by taking any opportunity to put you or anyone else around her down, I have to fault Danny for his comment about the 'White standard of beauty'. Clearly it was a dig at Kilsey's boyfriend Lindsay, 'the other white meat' in the family. However, it was a derrogatory comment to you as well but he recovered nicely by saying you looked good, too. Nice Danny. Why don't you slide your chair over and sit next to SIL.

    Just a thought.

     
  • At 10:53 AM, Blogger The "Mind" said…

    Gah. What a pain in the ass.

    I have no advice, I'd totally want to go all Jane Fonda (in Monster-In-Law) on her ass.

     
  • At 11:51 AM, Blogger Aimee said…

    It's Edgar's family right? Maybe it's time he had a talk with her (or his mother had a talk with her). She's totally out of line.
    And the purebred dog thing would have pissed me off because Hi! at least I'm not supporting breeding and killing one more shelter dog. :)

    She's totally jealous and insecure, but that doesn't make it right for her to be a total bitch.

     
  • At 2:33 PM, Blogger Maya said…

    Welcome to the wonderful world of inlaws! (Sigh) She DOES need a real zinger - outta left field and she'll shut up for a good long while. Trust me on this one - I put up with a nutty old uncle in law for years before I gave his @$$ a SMACKDOWN....he hasn't been the same since.

    Hey by the way, don't tempt Chiada and I with wedding details, lol.

     
  • At 6:46 PM, Blogger Lauren said…

    I know where you're coming from -- non confrontational friend. It's about her (what she's dealing with) not you. I would ignore it unless it continues and then find a way to nicely say knock it off, it hurts your feelings. Good Luck :)

    By the way, I'll be in NYC this weekend too! Well Saturday really, I'm visiting my aunt and uncle in nj. Small world!

     
  • At 9:54 AM, Blogger Julie said…

    Lindsey.

    Not cool. She has issues seriously.
    You need to say something soon before 6/7/08 or it's just going to get worse and make you angrier and angrier.
    I'm telling you. I know some people. I could get her and her little purebread disappear, capice?

    :)

    Too bad I won't be in Brooklyn this weekend because I would hunt you down and buy you a drink!

     
  • At 12:09 PM, Anonymous sara said…

    ew that shit makes my blood boil, please say somethin next time, or slap her across her ugly face because she sounds like a big whore

     
  • At 12:18 PM, Anonymous sara said…

    err sorry, i got all irrational in the heat of the moment. i thought about it while i was just drying my hair, and on a deeper level, complaining about a girl being too skinny is what fat girls say to make themselves feel better. just remember that. you're sexy and no one makes a fool of my sister!!

     
  • At 1:27 PM, Anonymous Motherload said…

    Whoa.

     
  • At 2:34 PM, Blogger Lindsey said…

    LMAO Thanks Sara.

     
  • At 4:53 PM, Anonymous audrey said…

    I feel your pain so much right now. I am having some SIL issues that I can't write about because my whole family reads my blog, and it is just driving me crazy! But trust me, I feel your pain.

    Have a great trip to Queens!

     
  • At 1:59 PM, Anonymous slinger said…

    we didnt do the dollar dance at our wedding either, and I am not a big fan of it when I go to weddings.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home