The Good Kind of Dorky

 

Monday, August 06, 2007

Lions and Tigers and Bears OH MY...and sharks and elephants

Last week ended with my boss resigning (I'm really sad she is leaving, but for obvious reasons I can't talk about it here) and my weekend began Friday afternoon with a pedicure. I've been wanting a pedicure all summer, but I've been hesitant to spend frivolously as I am trying to save for the wedding, which by the way is in just over 10 months. June 7, 2008 to be exact. Eeek! Over the weekend Edgar and I started thinking about our honeymoon. Instead of my original idea of the Outer Banks (which candidly is still an option), we started talking about going someplace really cool like Jamaica (not the one in Queens) (All these parentheses are making me feel like Janet) (seriously)

Saturday Edgar and I took a day trip to Virginia Beach to go to the aquarium there and then to Norfolk to go to the zoo. It was an animal packed day. Before heading home that evening we stopped a seafood restaurant where I had a broiled lump crab cake and hush puppies. Gotta love the south. Edgar had chicken.

Here are some photo-highlights of the day.

So many photo opps with the fake creatures.

Did you know I LOVE goats? Of all of the animals there, I love the goats the best.* I love the farm smell too. Seriously, someone buy me a goat.

Edgar's favorite animal is the penguin so we had someone take this for us.
(omigod, someday there could be a baby in this picture. babieeees)

Unfortunately, by the end of the day my throat started feeling a little tickly and I started to come down with a cold. Luckily it has been pretty mild and I don't feel too bad at all, but that was an unpleasant way to spend the remainder of the weekend.

Pleasant, however, was Sunday's trip to the Richmond Bridal Show with none other than my numero uno bridesmaid, Sarah. Any event that gives you free crack errr ummm bridal magazines, it okay in my book!

I know it's only Monday night, but I could use another weekend. Then again, couldn't we all?




* I was also quite fond of the giraffes and prairie dogs

16 Comments:

  • At 2:40 AM, Anonymous alyndabear said…

    You have a date! That is so exciting. :D

    I love all things wildlife.. and the pictures are adorable.

    (And there is nothing wrong with using parentheses.)

     
  • At 8:10 AM, Blogger L Sass said…

    WHY in the world wouldn't you want to honeymoon in Jamaica, New York? It's close to the airport, it would be so convenient!!

    I'm with Edgar, I love the giant penguin!

     
  • At 8:14 AM, Blogger Marriage-101 said…

    I heart the prairie dogs too. And the penguins. You should take Edgar to the St. Louis zoo. We have a penguin house and if the guard isn't watching, you can touch them while they're swimming around! Not that I've done it or anything...that would be bad. :0)

     
  • At 9:43 AM, Anonymous Audrey said…

    I vote for someplace super cool for your honeymoon if you can afford it. We went to the bahamas, which was awesome, except that as soon as you ventured away from the resorts it got pretty ghetto pretty quick. But, that wasn't so bad since we spent a lot of the week in our room, if ya get what I'm sayin! *wink, wink*

    The point is, make sure you have a nice room. And if you go somewhere tropical, make sure you spend an afternoon renting a jet ski because that was one of the funnest things we have ever done.

     
  • At 10:34 AM, Blogger Julie said…

    That picture of you in the Sharks mouth is wonderful!

    And.. now you know that you'll be getting a goat as a wedding gift.
    You better be ready.

     
  • At 10:50 AM, Anonymous elise said…

    The caption you wrote for the penguin picture is hiiilarious! So cute :)

     
  • At 11:00 AM, Blogger Momma_Phoenix said…

    My father-in-law got remarried in Jamaica, and he and his wife go back every year for the anniversary. They -love- it there and highly suggest it to anyone considering going there.

    Zoos rock! :D

     
  • At 12:10 PM, Blogger Chiada said…

    That looks like it was a lot of fun! I haven't been to a zoo in quite awhile. Actually, the last time was probably when I went to Gatorland in Florida about 7 years ago. :)

     
  • At 12:57 PM, Blogger Carrie said…

    I've been to Jamaica 3 times and let me just tell you that if you go there, find a resort and don't leave. The crime is terrible there. Some of the country side is really pretty there but in town it gets really sad to see how poor they are.

    I love going to the zoo. My fav is meerkats and sloth.

     
  • At 6:57 PM, Blogger Cece said…

    Dude, you guys are so darn cute together! Love the penguin picute. ;-)

     
  • At 8:08 PM, Blogger Aimee said…

    cute pics! Did you get to see pigmy goats? they are even cuter!

     
  • At 11:53 PM, Anonymous sara said…

    for realz go somewhere sexier than the outer banks. get out of america. go to st. thomas or a sexy island.. carpe your honeymoon!

     
  • At 9:33 AM, Blogger Mrs. Higrens said…

    I vote for Sandals Resorts! All-Inclusive, with top-shelf alcohol and water-sports included. Plus many have a very nice spa (a couples massage is a great way to start off your honeymoon).

    We've gone back 2x since our honeymoon and have never been disappointed with any of the resorts (same resort in St. Lucia 2x, 1x in Jamaica). If you are willing to book now, they usually have at least one resort 40-50% off list when you are purchasing this far in advance.

    We never want to go back to Jamaica. We were trying to save a little $ and try someplace new and were disappointed with the experience. We did not like the island at all, the people were pushy and I never felt safe when we left the resort. St. Lucia is beautiful, and the natives are very friendly and happy that you are visiting their island. They don't treat you like a leg up on their path to financial gain. Even when we left the resort I didn't feel any less safe than I would in Ney York City.

    (I can recommend a great travel agent that specializes in Sandals if you decide you want to look in that direction...and no I don't work for them, I've just had a really good time at their resorts.)

     
  • At 1:12 PM, Anonymous Stephanie said…

    Um, the cuddling with the snake kinda creeped me out. But that's just me...

    If you get goats and giraffes and prairie dogs, you also have to take my daughter so she can play with them. NO, I am not kidding.

    And I'd totally come, too, ya know!!

     
  • At 11:50 PM, Blogger Angela said…

    Cute pics. It looks like you had an awesome time!

     
  • At 11:07 AM, Blogger The "Mind" said…

    "gives you free crack errr ummm bridal magazines"

    OMG, they are like crack. I am so not even remotely close to getting married and I just gotta walk away and leave them on the shelves like Double Stuf Oreos (which are definitely crack).

     

Post a Comment

<< Home