The Good Kind of Dorky

 

Thursday, September 20, 2007

On Excuses and Exercise

I can't believe it has been one whole week since I posted. I need to pull myself out of that nasty habit and post at a much greater frequency. I don't really have a good excuse other than I've been busy? I try not to post at work and I limit how much time I spend reading blogs at work too, so by the time I get home I am ready to hang out with Edgar, veg out by the TV or exercise--not sit at my computer after having done just that for most of the day. Speaking of exercise, I'm feeling kind of fit lately. Today, for instance, I walked 30 min. during my lunch break, ran for about 40 min. when I got home from work and then after dinner I went to the gym to lift weights for my arms. Perhaps today was more the exception than the norm, but I have been trying to run more often and lift more often. I'll be damned if my arms don't look at least a little bit toned on my wedding day. It's a tad bit embarrassing that I haven't done any lifting for my legs so if I end up looking like some disproportionate hulk, then the fault is my own. Did I mention how unmotivated I am to lift weights? I have been challenging myself to "lift arms" once a week. I've only missed one week in over a month. Maybe two months? It's also quite possible that I tried to figure out how many weeks until my wedding and if that would be enough to have nice looking arms. The counting made my head hurt, but I'm sure if I keep it up I'll look fine.

Now don't get me wrong, I'm not one of those brides who has thinks she has to lose a bunch of weight to look good on her wedding day. If I had to get married tomorrow, I'd be happy with how my body looked. I just would like to look slightly more toned, that's all. No starving or craziness for me (please ignore that I just told you I worked out three times today).

I was listening to the radio this morning and the DJs were talking about a recent article they read about women who are obsessed with losing weight and get down to around a size 0 and consequently lose their sex drive. I don't mean they completely lose it, but they have issues. The DJs asked people to call in if this is something that they can relate to. A lady called in to say that she was smaller than a size 0--she was a child's 14! She said that she rides a stationary bike 5-6 times a week for 2.5 hours each session. I'd actually have to use my brain and do the math, but she also stated that she rides the equivalent of 60 miles each time. WHAT?! She said it hasn't effected her sex drive at all. In all things TMI, she said that her husband says "You're going to kill me" in response to her above average libido. At this point, I could care less about if she gets her rocks off or not...SIZE 14!!! You could tell she thought that there was absolutely nothing wrong with her size or the amount of exercise she does.

They continued to take callers. A couple of men called in and were asked if they like a woman with a little meat on her bones or a size 0 woman. They all said they like a woman with a little "meat." One guy said he prefers women size 6 or above. Regardless of a woman's size, unless you are naturally very thin and naturally size 14 kids, which this woman obviously wasn't, you need help. Especially since she said she "ballooned" up to 140 pounds during her pregancy. WHAT? If I am only 140 pounds during my pregnancy, I will thank my lucky stars.

Come back for my next post (whenever that may be) because I might contradict myself sorta kinda.

11 Comments:

  • At 11:02 PM, Blogger Lauren said…

    Oh my God I heard that on the radio this morning too! I was sitting there thinking, that's not healthy, 60 miles a day! And she didn't think there was anything wrong with it...Lindsey please don't start running 60 miles a day!

     
  • At 10:08 AM, Anonymous cady said…

    that is insane. 60 miles a day?? that is completely unhealthy and not normal. i'm good to do 30 min a day on my bike!

     
  • At 10:19 AM, Blogger L Sass said…

    Um, what guy wants a child size woman? This woman clearly has major body image problems, which is super sad. CRAZY!

    I have been slacking off in my weight lifting, too. After the marathon (October 7th), we should have a challenge--whoever skips fewer weight sessions wins and the loser has to send the winner a fun treat!

     
  • At 11:52 AM, Blogger The "Mind" said…

    I know very few guys that enjoy that look on a woman.

    Ballooned UP to 140? LOL! I haven't seen 140 since, uh, summer between 6th and 7th grades.

     
  • At 12:15 PM, Anonymous nancypearlwannabe said…

    Umm, being the size of a child sounds the COMPLETE OPPOSITE of sexy to me. For real, if a guy decided to lose that much weight that he was in little boy sizes, the dude wouldn't be able to find a date! I can't imagine guys would find that attractive, either.

     
  • At 12:57 PM, Blogger Chiada said…

    I'm totally with The Mind on the last time I weighed 140, LOL. I'm one of those "big boned" gals (typical Swede) and I have a lot of extra meat on me. But my hubby doesn't mind, even if I were to lose some meat or stay the same.

    The way you described that woman reminds me of the movie with Adam Sandler - Spanglish - where his wife, played by Tea Leoni, is this exerciseaholic freak. Really, she's a freak in that movie.

    Being too obsessed with anything, including exercising, is not healthy.

     
  • At 12:58 PM, Anonymous audrey said…

    Okay,I am shocked and appalled at the size of that woman and all that. But she also totally reminded me of Angela from The Office who shops for herself at the American Girl Doll store, which made the whole thing completely hilarious.

    I have been trying to lift more too. The last thing I want is to lose weight from only doing cardio and then have all this un-toned, flabby skin hanging around. It's hard to find a good balance, but I am trying!

     
  • At 9:56 AM, Blogger Mrs. Higrens said…

    Yikes! Why would you want to wear a kids 14 - wouldn't it be hard to find age appropriate clothing?

    After I met my husband I lost enough weight to be vertebrae sticking out bony for a few months. We were talking about that just yesterday and his reaction was still negative from both a health and aesthetic view.

    Maybe her husband is a freak too.

     
  • At 12:03 PM, Blogger Julie said…

    That just made me throw up a little bit.

    60 miles?
    She could be across the country by now riding as much as she does every week.

     
  • At 9:52 PM, Blogger Carrie said…

    I'm with Sue on that. I haven't weighed 140lbs since I was in middle school.

    I think it is wrong to be that thin. I know sometimes people can't keep weight on but she is over doing it. And you better not either. I'm sure Edgar loves you the way you are.

     
  • At 6:28 PM, Blogger Nap Queen said…

    Ick, who wants to look like that? Oh right, someone who needs help. She's a total exercise bulemic. Instead of throwing up, she just works out too much.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home