The Good Kind of Dorky

 

Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Titty Talk Tuesday

I just returned this afternoon from a business trip. That sounds so official, but really I was putting on a golf tournament to raise funds for my organization. That's all I'm saying. The point is, I'm back in town and trying to catch up on blogs, because, clearly, this girl has priorities.

Over the weekend I decided I'd try to find undergarments for under (as the name would imply) my wedding dress. Did I tell you I got a dress? No? Well I am now. See, I'm not sure if I'll need a bustier or just a strapless bra. I started by checking out the bustiers at Victoria's Secret. They only had one option and I wasn't loving it (turns out they have an identical one at Target for a whopping price difference of $60!) The thing I wasn't loving about this particular bustier is that it was padded all down the front, leading me to be skeptical that it wouldn't actually add inches to my midsection. Perhaps I'm being irrational, but I don't want to look heavier than I am on my wedding day. The girl who was helping me at Victoria's Secret suggested I try out Nordstrom.

I headed over to Nordstrom and began perusing the intimates section. They only had one bustier and it went all the way to the hip and it had boning (hahaha boning, I'm 12). I enlisted the help of one of the lovely Nordstrom associates. She informed me that because I don't really need any tummy control (in her opinion) that a strapless bra might do just fine. She asked what size bra I wore and if I'd been measured before. I replied that I hadn't been measured, but that I was a 34B. Still, I wanted to be professionally measured just so I would know for sure. We went back into the dressing room for privacy. Written on her measuring tape was the statistic "8 out of 10 women are wearing the wrong size bra." I was determined not to be a statistic. I held my breath and crossed my fingers.

You are 32C/D.



WHAT?!! A "D?" Really? A "D?" This is good news, this is very good news.

I decided to try a strapless in both a C and D for good measure. The D definitely fit better and didn't cut in and give me four boobs (lovely associates words, not mine). While I believe I'm closer to a C-cup in actuality than a D-cup, it was pretty cool to fill out a D. She said it had, in part, to do with my small rib cage or something, but I wasn't really paying attention. I was wearing a D! It's just too bad 32 D is kind of a hard size to find. Oh well, I'll do just fine wearing a 34 and wearing it at the tightest hook. In the future though, I will be much more careful to make sure I am wearing the correct size. To my defense, my cheap-o comfy bra's from Target do run a bit big. My B really does fit fine.

I purchased the strapless bra and it was quite possibly the best $38 dollars I've ever spent. I'll have to see how the strapless works with my dress, because, as Sarah has informed me, some seamstresses will recommend the full bustier only because it makes the dress lay properly. If that's the case, I'll happily D(eal) with it. I needed a good strapless regardless.

The best part of this whole orDeal? Calling up eDgar and sharing my revelation. Now he can never tell me my boobs aren't big enough and I should get implants.* I've got proof.


* He says it jokingly. Don't get your panties in a knot.

19 Comments:

  • At 10:50 PM, Anonymous Audrey said…

    Wow, that IS amazing news! Congrats on your "new" knockers! (We're friends, right? So I can say that without sounding creepy? Good.)

    I remember trying on dresses at david's bridal and hating that padded full bustier so much. I felt like it totally hid my waistline and made me look a couple of inches wider than I really was. And wedding dress shopping should never make you feel that way.

    I actually ended up going bra-less because with my very-much-NOT-D chest, I could totally get away with it. And that way I avoided the discomfort of a strapless bra for my entire wedding day! There was only a brief second where I almost regretted that decision, and that was when I was dancing and twisted my upper body and my dress didn't exactly follow quite as quickly as it should have. I may have flashed my wedding reception for a fraction of a second. But, far as I can tell, there is no photographic evidence of the wardrobe malfunction, and I had had enough champagne at the time that I was less upset at what may have possibly happened and more overjoyed that my maid of honor and I would be able to laugh at that for years to come.

    This comment is approximately 10 miles long, so I'll wrap it up with one little request: if you don't plan on posting pictures of your dress, I sure hope you'll email a picture or two to the friend who just congratulated you on your new knockers! Because how else will I know for sure that you didn't go back for the ruffly fiesta dress? (That's right. I named it the Fiesta Dress. Because, really, what else could it possibly be called?)

     
  • At 11:06 PM, Blogger The "Mind" said…

    LMAO! Yeah, I was apparently wearing the wrong size for eons, too. Go figure. Welcome to the D club baby!

     
  • At 11:42 PM, Blogger Maya said…

    Having (sadly) left the C+ club and migrated over to D+ (thanks, birth control pills I haven't taken in years!) some years ago, may I congratulate AND warn you: 32/34 D are HARD to find...and make sure you try on every single bra you buy. When you find one that fits, buy it in at least two colors.

    WRT Wedding chest support system: The finely boned bustiers are a good thing IF a) they come all the way to your hips (thus avoiding that naughty bulge below the thick elastic band of most 3/4 length bustiers) b) don't have that layer of extra 'support'/padding all the way through.

    I myself found a regular strapless bra with a body smoother over it from chest to knees was the perfect solution. Than again, I was only a C+ at the time.

    D-lightful!

     
  • At 12:41 AM, Blogger Aimee said…

    that's too funny. I'm worried...if I'm wearing the wrong size...I'm scared.

    Yeah for getting a dress!

     
  • At 5:21 AM, Anonymous alyndabear said…

    Damn.. I'd hate to think what my boobs are if I went to that place to get 'em measured! o_O Woo!

    Congrats on the dress! So excited for you.

     
  • At 6:29 AM, Blogger Erika said…

    I'm jealous! I too went bra-less for my wedding and had bra cups sewn into the front of my dress. HOTTTTT.

     
  • At 7:59 AM, Blogger L Sass said…

    I used to wear a 34B. Then I got professionally measured. They were like, yeah, you should definitely be in an A cup.

    Sigh.

    I CAN'T WAIT TO SEE YOUR DRESS.

     
  • At 9:17 AM, Anonymous Operation Pink Herring said…

    I always thought I was a 34B... and then one fateful day I ordered a bra from Gap.com. When my box of goodies arrived, I tried everything on and I was AMAZED by the magical bra, which actually provided support without cutting off circulation in my ribcage or giving me a 4-boob. What was so magical about this $12 bra? I had accidentally ordered a 34C.

     
  • At 10:55 AM, Blogger Mrs. Higrens said…

    Another 32D here too!

    Maidenform's One Fabulous Fit bra's rock...but you can't find them in a 32D very easily. That is a major downside! I do think it is worth it to find a 32D though because there isn't any room for stretch when wearing a 34C at the tightest hook, so once they have stretched out, they just don't fit right any more. And maybe I'm cheap but I don't like having to buy a new bra every month just to replace one that I've only worn a few times...I'd much rather put that money towards something else, like shoes.

    And I also tell my husband that he shouldn't complain because I am a D cup after all. He's maybe not buying it though.

     
  • At 12:40 PM, Blogger Chiada said…

    Back in the days, a long long time ago, when I had a "perfect" body and only weighed about 150 pounds (I'm 5'10"), I wore a 36C. I thought it was great. Now that I've ballooned and gained a massive amount of weight, my boobs have quadrupled and I absolutely can't stand them. I'm a DD now, and I must be the only woman on the planet to hate having big boobs and to actually want smaller boobs. I'm working on losing the weight which will, happily, also mean losing the boobs. People, do you know what it's like to have big boobs and be stared at everywhere you go? Even from the age of 14? I mean, it's quite embarrasing and annoying at the same time. You have to really come to terms with the "don't look at me" scowl and avert your eyes from pretty much EVERYONE. Unless thats your thing and you actually like the attention and you flash your smile at all those gawkers. Then, I guess it's good for you.

    Anyways. My sister got married a couple months ago and her dress was as tight as a glove and strapless. A corset, especially boned, was not going to work for her. So, at the suggestion of a salesperson at an upscale lingerie store (Victoria's absolutely sucked when we went), she walked out with a nice lightly padded strapless bra and a Spanx slimmer. This slimmer was made to wear up under your boobs with an elastic band that went there, so your bra just sits over the top edge of it. Then it went down to her mid-thigh section. It was perfect. Then she said she'd just change into some sexy lingerie later for the whole "reveal" with the new hubby.

     
  • At 1:48 PM, Blogger Marriage-101 said…

    Your reaction was hilarious!

    I'm not sure what kind of dress you have, but mine had a corset back, boning (ha!) in the front, so I didn't even need a bra. And it's not because I have small boobs. According to my probably inaccurate measurements, I'm a 36C. Heidi Klum is a 34C. Imagine how excited I was to know that I had "almost" the same size boobs as Heidi Klum.

     
  • At 4:24 PM, Blogger Julie said…

    I fit women for bras a lot at the GAP and yes, many many women wear the wrong size.

    PS 32 D= 34C in case you can find those easier!

    Hooray welcome to the D club!

     
  • At 5:51 PM, Blogger *~*Cece*~* said…

    I saw that episode of Oprah where she had the Nordstrom's Ho's measuring the bitches in the audience. I want to get measured too! But I don't want to spend $60+ on one damn bra!

    So you gonna show us what your dress looks like or what?

     
  • At 7:32 PM, Anonymous Erin said…

    I hated the full bustier! So, I had my seamstress add bra cups and a bustier liner to my dress. I looked pretty, but with none of that uncomfortable yuck that is the bustier!

    And congrats on the boobs!

     
  • At 11:36 PM, Blogger Nap Queen said…

    I'm going to get a bra fitting STAT.

     
  • At 8:43 AM, Blogger Carrie said…

    Lindsey has big boobies. lol I can't wait to see your dress.

    Good for you for getting measured. I haven't.

     
  • At 11:11 AM, Blogger Mrs. Higrens said…

    FYI - 32D does not always equal 34C especially if your ribcage runs to the small side of 32. Then a 34 even on the tightest hook still runs big - it's just as bad as the quad boob look when your bra slides sideways or rides up so that the cups look empty! Hee.

     
  • At 11:26 AM, Blogger Elise said…

    I went to get fitted for a bra a couple of years ago, told the lady I was a 34B and she ended up telling me that no, in fact, I was a 32 A/B.

    NOT GOOD NEWS.

    But yay for boobs for you! I still need the implants :)

     
  • At 11:29 AM, Blogger Elise said…

    Also, figleaves.com has like, A MILLION different types and colors and fabrics and options for bras in all sorts of weird (like 32A or 32D) bras.

    So never fear! You will find something cute in your new and fabulous size :)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home