The Good Kind of Dorky

 

Sunday, November 04, 2007

By what we have done and by what we have left undone

I went to church this morning with Edgar. Like writing poetry and volunteering, going to church is another one of those things that I wish I did more often--one of those things that I say I will start next week. No, next week, I promise. I wish my church held services at 5 or 6 o'clock on Saturday evening. I swear I would go all of the time. It's just hard because there are only two mornings per week that even offer the opportunity to sleep in and for a sleep deprived person who stays up later than she should on a regular basis, it is hard to pass up those much needed hours of shut eye. On the rare occasion when I actually do pull myself out of bed and make it to church, I never regret my decision.

Edgar and I are getting married at said church next June and it is important to me that we establish some sort of relationship with the church/congregation so that when we are saying our vows it will have more meaning to us. And it isn't just our relationship to the church as individuals, but rather our relationship to one another as a couple on a spiritual journey, a couple exploring, strengthening and defining our faith, a couple making a commitment to God and to one another. For better or worse. Till death do us part.

In other commitment news, I decided to start recycling. When I lived in New York State my family and I always recycled. It is just what you do there. In New York City, Edgar and his family recycled because if you didn't you would get fined. I'm not sure if it was law in Upstate New York, but I am confident that my family would recycle regardless. Recycling truly is just part of the culture there.

Since moving to Virginia three years ago, I am ashamed to say that I've only recycled a can here and there at work. I don't even want to know how many recyclable items I've tossed in three years--I'm sure it would be appalling. I don't know how or why I became so apathetic about recycling--maybe I just got lazy, maybe it's the culture down here. I remember being quite alarmed that it wasn't more ingrained in the minds of Virginians, but somehow I became that Virginian.* Somehow I became that American. So as of today, I am a recycler (it's a real word, patent pending). I vow to be consistent and mindful.

I think I've unfairly made myself appear completely unable to follow through with anything and that is not entirely true. I am just hard on myself because I disappoint myself when I procrastinate or fall short of the person I know I could be if I just put forth a little bit more effort. I do follow through though when it comes to 1. this blog and 2. working out. I don't post as much as I should, but I have kept up with this whole blogging thing for just over two years now. This little blog has been the one creative outlet/hobby that I have stuck with and been consistent about.

Not everyone is as diligent (or obsessive!) when it comes to working out as I am. I have routinely worked out and stayed at a healthy weight for over three years. Working out has become a part of my lifestyle--no thinking, just do it. I also added weight training for my arms once a week and I've stuck with it for a handful of months now. Whether or not the lifting is being motivated by the desire to look good in my wedding dress is beside the point. I've only missed 3 weeks total, which for me is not too shabby. Soon, I'd like to add legs to my routine. It doesn't even make sense that I haven't added legs already, but let's not talk about that.

I work at a non-profit, I donate what I can to a couple of charities and I care for two adopted dogs. Admittedly, there are a few things I have done right. Then why is it always the shortcomings that stand out in my mind? Is anyone else out there hard on her/himself for things that go undone?

* Edited to add: I know that many Virginians do recycle and I am not trying to generalize--it was just my initial perception. I bet statistically less Virginians recycle than New Yorkers, but I really have no proof of that. (Don't want the grannies coming after me--they are some tough broads) :-)

9 Comments:

  • At 7:00 AM, Blogger Sarah said…

    Hey now! Don't go generalizing all of us Virginians as people that don't recycle. That will definitely cause Granny to get her girdle in a bunch.

     
  • At 8:11 AM, Anonymous Valerie said…

    Our church meets at 4pm on Sunday, specifically because our congregation is mostly in their mid-20s. It. is. fabulous.

     
  • At 12:06 PM, Blogger L Sass said…

    The church I attend in NYC also appeals to a 20s/30s crowd and services are at 5:45 and 7:00 on Sundays--perfect for me and a great start to the week! Plus, the pastor talks in a very "college professor-y-ish" way, which I think really appeals to young people who are thinking through their issues.

    Was Edgar raised Catholic?

     
  • At 12:34 PM, Blogger Julie said…

    Tim and I want to go to church a lot more too.. but since they closed our parish after all of the scandals we just have not found another place to connect.

    Sucks.

    Boston also does not require buildings to recycle. I think I have talked about this on my blog before. But I think I am going to call my management company today and ask them if they can do something about it.
    :)

     
  • At 4:42 PM, Blogger Carrie said…

    I keep my life pretty in line. I just need to find more time to exercise and I would be all good.

    Good for you for being a recycler.

     
  • At 6:37 PM, Blogger *~*Cece*~* said…

    Oh man I need to sneak on out of this post. I don't recycle or go to church like I should. Errr...see you tomorrow.

     
  • At 6:49 PM, Anonymous audrey said…

    The same thing has happened to me with recycling. We could do it for free, but we always forget. I feel bad -- especially after we have friends over and our trash can is overflowing with beer and wine bottles...and yet I still always forget. Maybe it will be my new year's resolution this year...

     
  • At 7:08 PM, Anonymous alyndabear said…

    Jase goes to church every Sunday - it's me who has some issues about going. I need to get back in to it, I should have years ago, but for some reason I'm finding it hard to do.

    As for exercising, well, my motivation is lacking. :(

     
  • At 1:52 PM, Anonymous Operation Pink Herring said…

    Hooray for recycling! I *heart* recycling. And not to knock VA, but I thikn that the South, in general, is much more lax about recycling than the hippie north is. I thought I was good about reusing and recycling, but the first time I visited Joel's familiy in Vermont they put me to SHAME. They compost. Enough said.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home