The Good Kind of Dorky

 

Sunday, November 25, 2007

Clean slate

I figured it was about time to clean up my house a bit. I feel like it gets so cluttered so quickly. So that is what I did today. Nothing more than clean and take a break to grocery shop. I also put away my "harvest" decorations. It seems like October and November have just flown by. I feel like I was putting up my Halloween decorations just yesterday. The weather is finally feeling like fall and now it is time to move onto Christmas! I haven't gone all out with Christmas decorations yet or anything. I'm of the school that you wait until a week or two into December to put up a tree, etc. I did, however, put up my Styrofoam berry wreath from Target on the front door. So now I look holiday confused--we didn't carve our pumpkins this year because we didn't get around to it so I kept them out on my front porch. Now that Thanksgiving is over I need to either throw them out or use them in some way for cooking. Thing is, I've never cooked with a real live pumpkin before. Have any of you tried this before? Any pointers? Should I even attempt it or should I just say goodbye to them Tuesday when the trash collectors come?

10 Comments:

  • At 9:41 PM, Blogger janet said…

    I don't think carving pumpkins are good for cooking. You could chop them up real good and bury them in the yard for compost!

     
  • At 9:57 PM, Blogger Val said…

    Yeah do that, but keep the seeds for roasting.

     
  • At 10:01 PM, Blogger Sara said…

    It does seem like we were just putting up the fall stuff. We had to take all that down to put up the Christmas stuff this weekend. Time is flying!

     
  • At 8:38 AM, Blogger Carrie said…

    I'm with you on being a lazy xmas person. I'll say it. Cold time has officially started here and there is no way I am digging out the tree in 30 degree weather until I just HAVE TO. lol

     
  • At 10:25 AM, Blogger Aimee said…

    Before you give this too much thought, cut your pumpkins open to see if they are still good. We went to pull the seeds out of one of ours (we had it maybe like two weeks?) and the whole inside was moldy. UGH.

     
  • At 12:13 PM, Blogger L Sass said…

    I'm pretty sure that pumpkins are easy to cook, but I think Janet's right. Those big pumpkins are not tasty like the little "pie" pumpkins.

     
  • At 12:13 PM, Blogger Princess Extraordinaire said…

    I don't think they would be good for pie as you've had them for so long - but then again the seeds may stil be yummy - but I don't want to poison you!

     
  • At 1:43 PM, Blogger Julie said…

    Uh?
    I am not domestic so I have no clue what you should do with them.

    :)

     
  • At 4:22 PM, Blogger *~*Cece*~* said…

    Bring on Xmas!!!

    My grandma use to get our pumpkins, cut and boil them, sweeten and make empanadas w/them. You know what an empanada is right? If not ask Edgar. lol Soooo good. Now she's gotten lazy in her old age & wants to make them out of canned pumpkin! The horror!

     
  • At 7:12 PM, Blogger Making my way in PA said…

    I have the same problem. We have two giant pumpkins just hiding behind a bush because I don't know what the heck to do with them. The seeds are tasty when you roast them with salt, but it is such a mess. Don't bury them unless you take all the seeds out or you will have wayward pumpkins next year, just my 7 year old little brother threw some outside last year without my mom knowing and they grew all over the place without even burying them.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home