The Good Kind of Dorky

 

Tuesday, November 06, 2007

Election Day

Today was election day. Three years ago I had recently moved to the state of Virginia and voted in the presidential election by proxy in New York State. Two years ago was the gubernatorial race, which was a big deal and I voted in that election (your welcome, Governor Kaine). Last year was big because the marriage amendment was up for a vote (I tried, my friends, I tried). This year, today to be exact, I was faced with a personal dilemma. I knew nothing about any of the candidates. Not one thing. Sure, I saw some signs on the lawns of my fellow Virginians, but I was completely uninformed about the candidates. I thought to myself, "Well I can go and vote based primarily on the party I tend to lean toward or I could just forgo voting this year altogether." I have always been of the mindset that everyone should exercise their right to vote. We live in this great country where all citizens are allowed to vote. Everyone, especially young people, should vote. If you don't vote you have no right to complain, as my elder co-workers reminded me.

I did not vote this year. My rationalization being that an uninformed vote is worse than not voting at all. Do you think I made the right decision? What would you have done in my situation? Did you vote--if no, why not?

Whether I made the right decision or not, one thing is certain--you won't hear me complaining.

11 Comments:

  • At 10:53 PM, Blogger janet said…

    When I don't know what/who to vote for, first I pick anyone with a (D) next to their names, and then I pick a woman if there are more than one. Is that weird?

     
  • At 8:14 AM, Blogger Erika said…

    I knew who I wanted to vote for for the major races (state senate/house) but I voted for the wrong person for sherriff, dammit.

     
  • At 8:37 AM, Blogger Sara said…

    This is the first year in a long time that I didn't vote. Probably because I received tons of mail each day from the people running for election. I also received phone calls and people at my door.

     
  • At 8:43 AM, Anonymous Ross said…

    I always write myself in if I don't know anything about the candidates or if they are running unopposed.

     
  • At 10:06 AM, Blogger Aimee said…

    I think it's smarter to not vote than to vote with no real reason. :) Good choice! hehe

     
  • At 11:17 AM, Blogger Carrie said…

    It's better to make an informed decision than not at all.

    You are like me when it comes to politics and I try to stay on top of things but because this year has been crazy, I put it on the back burner. But I will be ready to vote soon.

    Don't sweat it!

     
  • At 11:18 AM, Blogger L Sass said…

    I didn't vote because, stupidly, I didn't realize that the NYS drivers licenses for Illegal Aliens was a ballot item!!

    I'd definitely go with Janet's strategy, though... not very sophisticated, but seems like a good general guideline!

     
  • At 11:56 AM, Blogger Julie said…

    I agree with you.
    I may have tried to find out more information but if it's not a big race or you're not informed than election day can sneak up on you!

     
  • At 3:25 PM, Blogger Sue said…

    There are times when I don't vote because there isn't an issue I'm concerned about. It happens and it is okay. The only elections here were for some college board downstate and a recommendation vote as to who our next mayor should be.

    If you don't want to take crap for it, don't tell people that you didn't vote. I put politics and religion in the same category...the I don't talk about them category. People will accept that you don't talk about them easier than they will accept you didn't vote because you were uninformed.

     
  • At 4:59 PM, Anonymous audrey said…

    i didn't know anything about what was on the ballot this year, so I didn't vote. Last year was super important to me because we had a "civil union" amendment on there, and like you, I tried my damndest, but it wasn't quite good enough. if it had made it back on the ballot this year, (which I'm kinda surprised it's not since it was a super close race last year) I definitely would have voted again.

     
  • At 7:35 PM, Blogger Sparkling Red said…

    I didn't vote at all until I was past 30. Now I make a point of voting every time. That's a tough dilemma. I'd say that if I weren't sure and didn't have time to do a lot of research, I'd do minimal research and then vote according to my gut instinct.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home