The Good Kind of Dorky

 

Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Faith Based

I found out today that a co-worker of mine will be putting in her two-weeks notice tomorrow. She is our database manager and then some, so losing her will be a pretty big blow. In some ways, a bigger blow (whoa that came out wrong) than when my former boss/VP left in August. On one hand, I am really happy for her and proud of her. She is a really bright young woman and I want all the best for her. On the other hand, when it comes to the fund raising team of the organization, I have been around the longest and so all of her work will "naturally" default to me--initially at the least and forever at the most. Since my boss left earlier this year, my happiness has decreased pretty dramatically and my frustrations have increased. Every year in the three years I've been with the organization there has been turnover and I am always the one to pick up the slack. I am really sick of it. There is only so much "transition" that one person can take. Maybe I shouldn't be so emotionally invested, but I am. I spend at least eight hours there a day, five days a week--it's hard not to be. It's just that I used to love my job. I actually looked forward to going into work everyday. Nowadays, I contemplate calling in sick on a weekly, if not daily basis. I'll get over it, right? It's just that my frustrations with it make me want to cry and/or have a breakdown. Anyway, enough about work.

On a happier note, Edgar and I met with our minister this evening to talk about the wedding. We didn't do too much "premarital counseling" tonight. We mostly just talked about the logistics of the wedding and he answered any questions we had. Can I just tell you that I love my religion and my minister. Seriously, this guy is awesome. I like him more and more as I get to know him. He seems to be pretty progressive and current which really appeals to me. It's like he realizes that the church has to adapt to the current times, yet he does this all while staying true to the core traditions and the faith. Also, he encouraged us to join the 20s, 30s, 40s group which meets up every month or so just to hang out. It's a social group that sometimes meets up at a bar. This is my kind of guy, this is my kind of church. I just feel like he is so laid back, approachable and non-judgmental--everything I could ask for in a minister. I mentioned that my uncle might play his bagpipe at some point during my wedding day and he asked me if he wore underwear underneath his kilt. Then he said "maybe I shouldn't have said that." He is pretty much the epitome of religious awesomeness.

I am confident that when Edgar and I are saying our vows before God that it will be much more meaningful because Father J will be marrying us.

8 Comments:

  • At 10:23 AM, Blogger Julie said…

    Maybe you need to look for something new?
    Or maybe a promotion or an increase in pay is worthy?

    All I know is in January I will be taking on the work of 2 ppl that are leaving and you best believe that I will be asking for a pay raise.

     
  • At 10:42 AM, Blogger Aimee said…

    That's awesome! (the minister part, not the job part).

    And yeah, I'm with Julie. It might be time to look for something that makes you happy. Or, that at least doesn't make you miserable. :(

     
  • At 12:22 PM, Blogger *~*Cece*~* said…

    Your minister sounds awesome!

    So, does your uncle wear undies under the kilt?

     
  • At 12:42 PM, Anonymous audrey said…

    I'm sorry your job is sucking so much right now. That is always really hard to deal with. Here's hoping things get better (in one way or another) soon!

    Your wedding is going to be so awesome.

     
  • At 1:15 PM, Blogger Carrie said…

    I hate my job too. I never miss work and here I am longing to take off work. The money is WAY too good to leave since I haven't finished college.

    I'm glad you are feeling happy about your church and your minister. That has to make you feel relaxed.

     
  • At 2:53 PM, Blogger Marriage-101 said…

    The way you see your minister is the way I see God. Not as strict and judgemental as people of yore believed. Loving, caring, understanding, and with a GREAT sense of humor ;)

    Glad you found that with your minister. Mine was like that too. He actually reminded me of a sweet little leprechaun.

     
  • At 9:40 PM, Blogger L Sass said…

    What an awesome minister! I'm glad you've found such a great church.

    I'm sorry that you're frustrated at work... I agree with Julie. Maybe time to look around? Your skillz are in demand.

     
  • At 11:53 PM, Anonymous cady said…

    i'm glad you found a good minister too. it's so important to have someone like that to marry you. i have to agree with the others about your job...you really need to find something that makes you happy.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home