The Good Kind of Dorky

 

Thursday, November 01, 2007

G'Day November

Halloween went well, but we didn’t have as many trick-or-treaters as I had expected. We did get some though. Each year I overestimate how much candy I need. Do I do this “subconsciously” to make sure that there just happens to be plenty left for me? I’ll never tell.

Last night before dusk I took my dogs for a walk. I have made this my very own little tradition. Each year since I’ve lived in Virginia, the weather on Halloween has been perfect—a nice break from the snow-suit under the costume weather typical of Central New York. I tried to dress up my dog Bugs like a bee for our walk, but the leash was interfering and it just wouldn’t work. I love that time of night on Halloween—the neighbors are out perfecting their decorations, pumpkins are being lit and kids run around excited for what is about to come—the anticipation is almost palpable. It is my favorite holiday (actually Christmas is, but don’t tell Halloween I said that).

Today during my lunch break I went for a walk. What I felt walking through the neighborhood near my office can only be described as “hung over.” A smashed pumpkin, discarded candy wrappers, decorations knocked over, or at least looking strangely out of place and lonely, and a hair bow without an owner. And it was quiet. I felt a little sad that I would have to wait until next year to experience it again and guilty that I wasn’t immediately directing all of my thoughts to what I should get friends and family for Christmas. I tried to clear my mind of consumer propaganda and just enjoy the beautiful day.

Autumn never fails to make me feel nostalgic. I think about mortality a lot, high school and college, past friendships, relationships, cycles and every other clichéd notion that we associate with this time of year. Give me a break, I was an English Lit major—I tend to gravitate toward symbolism, metaphor, pathetic fallacy and the like. And much like “accidentally” buying too much candy, I think Nostalgia is actually the reason I love this season best.

9 Comments:

  • At 5:43 PM, Anonymous audrey said…

    This post is so great, Lindsey! I love it. Even if I am jealous of your consistently good halloween weather. It's more like central NY here -- frigid cold every single halloween. Tuesday was in the 70s, today has been in the 60s, but yesterday never got out of the 30s. It's like the weather knew what day it was or something. Spooky.

    You're not allowed to stress about Christmas until after Thanksgiving.

    And you're totally rockin' the lines on the sides of this post. I wish I had cool lines on my blog. All the cool bloggers are going to be following your trend before you know it.

     
  • At 6:10 PM, Blogger Mrs. Higrens said…

    I overbought too!

    I love a good Halloween day with crisp air, but not too cool, and the smell of the leaves on the ground.

     
  • At 7:47 PM, Blogger Julie said…

    Agreed.

    Fall is my favorite.

    And I hate Halloween.
    But I love Thanksgiving.

     
  • At 11:05 PM, Blogger Sue said…

    Hung over is an excellent way to describe that neighborhood scene.

    I bought $50 worth of candy and it was gone in just over an hour. We had great weather, so we had a ton of kids coming by.

     
  • At 8:53 AM, Blogger Erika said…

    I agree, on Halloween how can you not think of years gone by?

    I'm glad you're doing NaBloPoMo. See you in a MONTH!

     
  • At 9:55 AM, Blogger L Sass said…

    I feel the same way about autumn. One of the things I am most looking forward to in grad school is getting to buy school clothes and school supplies again! Notebooks! Heart.

     
  • At 10:13 AM, Blogger *~*Cece*~* said…

    Yeah I feel the Halloween hangover, too. Last night I packed up all the Halloween decorations and put them in the garage. I need to shop for Thanksgiving ones now! lol

     
  • At 11:35 AM, Blogger Carrie said…

    I know exactly how you feel. And in two months we will see xmas trees dead on the side of the street.


    Gawd, that sounded depressing. lol

     
  • At 3:47 PM, Blogger abstractjenn said…

    What is is about Autumn that makes us nostalgic? I totally feel the same way. Maybe it's the whole starting new in September for school that has carried over into adulthood?

    I love Fall weather though - cold, clean crisp with a hint of fire smell to it. My favorite.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home