The Good Kind of Dorky

 

Sunday, November 18, 2007

I'm guessing I might be in the minority on this one

It has become very clear to me that the hot item in gift giving this holiday season is the Digital Photo Frame ("DPF").

Now don't get me wrong, I get that it is nifty neato and all of that--no more getting stuck looking at the same damn photo day after day, year after year. The DPF allows your family and friends to enjoy a slide show of memories whenever they'd like. Plus, you can change up the pictures with minimal hassle. Like I said, I get that it's a cool gadget. My opinion on the DPFs is not that strong one way or the other. If someone gave me one of these as a gift, I'd think "oh, interesting. I'll give it a try."

But seriously, please don't get me one. Call me old fashion, but I would not want one of these in my family room. Not that my family room is all that great looking right now, but I know that one day it will be and one thing I do not want gracing the tabletop is a DPF. I hate to have more wires in one room than absolutely necessary, for one. For another, they are just cheesy and too high tech for my taste. Just like how I refuse to use anything other than a standard planner that you actually write in (with a pen not a stylus!), when it comes to photos on display, I am a traditionalist. I do not want the detailing on my picture frame to be the word "Samsung" or anything like it.

So this holiday season when I am making my list and checking it twice, you can be sure that you will not find the words Digital Photo Frame scribbled in ink to then be scanned, turned into a pdf and e-mailed to the North Pole. cc: Mrs. Claus

13 Comments:

  • At 8:57 PM, Anonymous Erika said…

    ROFL. I think they are neat for the ease of use but they are way too expensive for what they are. My friend has 2 kids so they got one to show all their pictures, and she didn't like how sticking a memory stick in the side made the silhouette of the frame asymmetrical, so they only put 12 pictures on a time (that's what fits on the frame's hard drive). Seems to me that defeats the whole purpose.

    If Santa brings you one you can give it to me, I don't mind.

    See you SOON!

     
  • At 10:27 PM, Anonymous Motherload said…

    Oh man!!! I hope I can return the one I bought for you. :-D

    I'm with you. No, thanks.

     
  • At 11:12 PM, Blogger Julie said…

    Tim and I bought one of these for my Mom last year.

    She's got hundreds of pictures in albums that she never looks at, so it was the perfect way for all of us to have fun looking through pictures while scanning them, and she got a great high tech gift!

     
  • At 4:37 AM, Anonymous alyndabear said…

    I like them - but honestly, would never use one.

     
  • At 6:45 AM, Blogger Sarah said…

    Michael got me one for valentine's day last year because I am passionate about the digital photo. I didn't ask for it and I definitely think it's a male gift to give, but it has grown on me. Ours is a lot nicer than the samsung one. It doesn't have the brand name across the front, actually looks like a picture frame and can run wirelessly. More like this one.

    Love the new look of the blog, friend!

     
  • At 9:03 AM, Blogger Making my way in PA said…

    I am right with you. I think they are more of an office item than a home item. But who am I to say, I still don't have an ipod...

     
  • At 9:07 AM, Anonymous Operation Pink Herring said…

    My office gave one of those to the boss for Christmas last year. that fact alone proves that these things are gimmicky and a tad cheesy.

     
  • At 11:05 AM, Blogger Sue said…

    Yeah, it would be fun to have at an office, but not at home.

     
  • At 11:13 AM, Blogger L Sass said…

    I don't quite get these either. Sharper Image has some that look more like real frames than the one in your picture, but I really like the idea of printing a photo in the right size and putting it in an old-fashioned frame. Does that mean I'm getting old?

     
  • At 11:51 AM, Blogger *~*Cece*~* said…

    You are NOT in the minority! I HATE those things. I think they're lame & a waste of money. I think its just some drunk guys sitting around who came up w/a "cool" way to make money. And guess what? They succeeded! LAME!

    IMO, the reason why we frame and display certain pictures is to preserve that one special memory, right? Obviously not all the pictures on your memory card are worthy of display.

    Yeah, you'll never see me ask for this gift either. However, I LOVE regular picture frames!

     
  • At 10:37 PM, Blogger Angela said…

    They have WiFi ones that (although kind of expensive) are pretty cool I think. My husband is one of 12 kids in his family, and some of them live really far away or overseas. We got his parents a WiFi frame last year for Christmas, and it has a special email address that you send all of your photos to. Then it automatically loops through them with no cords or memory sticks or whatever.

    It's nice because all of the families can send photos. When any of us are at their house, you'll find us standing around the frame checking out everyone's photos. Nerds.

    But no, I'm not trying to sell you on them, even though I sound like a WiFi frame salesperson.

     
  • At 9:15 AM, Blogger Carrie said…

    They are okay but it would constantly catch my eye as it changed and I don't like that. Plus I wouldn't want to spend that kind of money. No but thanks here.

     
  • At 9:05 PM, Anonymous audrey said…

    I'm so with you on this one. I think DPFs are ridiculous, and I would never want one. It was kinda hilarious though when I saw one in Tim's crazy uncle's house in ohio. Because, with the way they decorate up there, of course they would have a DPF.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home