The Good Kind of Dorky

 

Saturday, November 03, 2007

Inspired: Part 2

While we are on the subject, I wanted to share with you something I recently learned of and found to be quite inspiring. My friend Dana, who I know from high school and have not kept in very good touch with, has started a not-for-profit organization with his girlfriend and some of their friends. Dana's girlfriend Erin is a marathon runner and is well on her way to becoming the youngest person to complete a marathon on all seven continents. Not only that, but she has a full time job in NYC.

The organization is called In the Running and what they do is select an already existing, not well known organization to support in each marathon location--7 marathons, 7 continents, 7 causes. Seriously, you have got to check out the website. This chick makes Laurel look sane. There is even a runner's blog that details the group's experiences thus far. What they are doing further proves just how much of a positive impact a few people can have on this world. Not to mention, they are young people!

Stories like theirs' inspires me for obvious reasons of course (um, amazing!) but also because I know I will never be the person who runs seven marathons on seven continents. This doesn't make me feel bad about myself because, hello, that is just not me. But it does it makes me reflect upon my own life...if this one young woman is doing all of that, what more can and should I be doing, even if on a more local level?

Her story also got me thinking about how I completely chickened out and never ran the 5K I promised myself I would. What if I got people to sponsor me to run a 5K and then I gave the proceeds to either a local charity or to In the Running? Just a couple thoughts I was tossing around in my head. Regardless, I need to do more than I am currently doing, which also happens to be very little. Go figure. I would bet that most of us could do more than we are doing.

So I want to know, what do you already do for your community? What do you dream of doing? And, how do you stay motivated?

Also, if the mood hits you, please consider supporting In the Running. 100% of the proceeds go to the charities. Every little bit counts.

5 Comments:

  • At 9:53 PM, Anonymous Erin said…

    I try to volunteer for a different organization for kids with special needs each summer. Two summers ago I volunteered at a barn that offers therapy on horseback (very cool) and this summer I volunteered at an organization for kids with Down Syndrome.

     
  • At 12:01 AM, Blogger Julie said…

    I volunteer for a camp for kids with life threatening illnesses and their families. It's also where I met Timmy.

    check it out-www.campsunshine.org

     
  • At 2:50 PM, Blogger Aimee said…

    Most of my donated moolah goes to animal charities (no-kill!) and homeless and Native American charities.

    I've volunteered in animal rescue and in a media position for the historic old city cemetery. I have an application on my desk for volunteering at the historic Governor's Mansion...and now that xmas is here, there will be lots of opportunities to help with the gift wrap stations at stores..they benefit all kinds of charities.

     
  • At 6:27 PM, Blogger Carrie said…

    Shit Lindsey, why are you doing this to me?

    I don't do nearly enough but now I am going to look into volunteering for the holidays. I guess every little bit counts. I also recycle. I am a big recycle person. Last night we were watching the news about a Tulsa clean up day and they didn't let anyone know. I guess I should work harder at being informed.

     
  • At 12:03 PM, Blogger L Sass said…

    DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT

    I don't do enough for my community, but, as I'm sure you know, it's hard when you work for a charity every day. I really want to get involved with this organization that uses running as a way to build self-esteem for girls. Totally up my alley, but I'm resisting volunteering until all my grad school apps are done!

    Come visit your sis and do a race here! I'll run with you!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home