The Good Kind of Dorky

 

Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Okay, seriously, I'm bored

My life isn't boring. I'm not bored at work. In fact, I'm actually very, very busy at work. I can see myself becoming overwhelmed any minute now. No, not any minute now--next Thursday when my coworker no longer works with me and I am doing her job as well as two others.

I am just bored with this NaBloPoMO, but I'm hanging in there. Only a few days left and then victory...and a break from blogging for a few days! Just you watch, once the pressure is gone, I'll probably come up with some great blogging fodder. Or not.

Ever since I was a little girl I've been obsessed with looking at baby names books and fantasizing about what I will name my baby one day. I used to pretend I was pregnant and then I would quickly go into labor (insert breathing sounds for effect) and give birth to a baby who would shoot down a birth canal that looked suspiciously like my over-sized sweatshirt, probably from Limited Too. I would then look though the top baby names of, like, 1980 and choose the perfect name for my perfectly plastic newborn child.

For a long time (back in the 90s) Renee was my favorite girls name, but I'm so over it. I love the name Maggie, but it reminds me too much of Edgar's ex girlfriend who was never a favorite of mine. So Maggie is out.

I'm not trying to hint that I am pregnant by the way.

I love to play the hypothetic game of "If you gave birth today what would you name your baby if it was a boy? and if it was a girl?" On most days I'd probably pick Alexander for a boy and maybe Emma or Audrey or Audrina (I know, I know) for a girl. I am actually a huge fan of names that are cross gender like Jordan and Jamie. Heart! So if I had that baby today I would name it either Riley or Ryan. Doesn't matter the sex, it's all interchangeable really. I'm just in an R cross-gender mood today I guess.

What would you name your baby?

16 Comments:

  • At 9:05 PM, Anonymous Erin said…

    My girl names are Olivia and Isobel. My boy names are Colin, and (don't laugh) Bernard. I realize that Bernard would only work if I was British.

    And yeah...I'm seriously tired of posting every day!

     
  • At 9:26 PM, Anonymous audrey said…

    OMG GO PEE ON A STICK AND THEN TAKE A PICTURE AND SHOW US RIGHT NOW!!!

    For a long time it was going to be Jake and Emily. (I KNOW. The 2 most popular names of like the last 5 years. God, how predictable am i?) But now I'm kinda over Emily. I like Isabella (mostly because I could call her Bella). And Lindsey. (But maybe I'm just saying that in case you name your daughter [WHO YOU ARE SO PREGNANT WITH RIGHT NOW OMG] after me and then I am obligated to reciprocate.)

    i am so excited for this Blog-Free Saturday!

     
  • At 9:48 PM, Blogger janet said…

    I like Elle and Audrey.

    And Ben and James.

    (Audrey's pee on a stick comment made me crack up -- we always have these "not pregnant" disclaimers!)

     
  • At 10:54 PM, Anonymous alyndabear said…

    Everyone loves a blogger pregnancy. Sadly though, am not pregnant. Am just fat. ;)

    Girl names I adore are Georgia, Claire, Hannah & Abigail.

    Boy names are William, Alexander & Patrick. *le sigh* Makes me want kiddies!

     
  • At 7:05 AM, Anonymous Erika said…

    My niece's middle name is Riley. She has a very unisex first/middle name.

    If we had a girl, she'll have my (maiden) middle name as her first name (my first name was after my mom's aunt, and my middle name was after my dad's mom). As for a boy...I kind of feel like we used our good name already, but he will have my dad's first name as his middle name...just have to find something to go in front.

     
  • At 9:45 AM, Blogger Making my way in PA said…

    Since the husband and I are freaks, we are thinking of unique names. Like the names of mountains or something. Think McKinley. That also happens to be his grandmother's maiden name. And it is gender nuetral (probably since it isn't a real first name). But I also want all my kids to have my maiden name as their middle name. I would use it as a first name, but then everyone else would kind of get gyped.

     
  • At 9:51 AM, Blogger Marriage-101 said…

    I had a baby doll I named Andrea, but I'm definitely OVER that name now.
    For a boy, I always liked Jacob Alexander, but then I married hubby and his nephew's name is Jacob. So maybe just Alex.

    I can never decide on a girls name. My fave was Samantha, but hubby vetoed it. I like Isabel and Sophia, but they're just becoming too popular. I like Alissa but it sounds too much like my neice's name. So maybe Alexis, and call her Alex? Clearly I like the name Alex - for a boy or a girl.

     
  • At 10:53 AM, Blogger The Mouse said…

    John Richard (Jack) for a boy and Elizabeth Anne (Beth) for a girl.

    They go well with Lovely Daughter's name. ;)

     
  • At 11:38 AM, Blogger Sara said…

    Our girls are Jessica Marie (born in '85) and Jacqueline Renee (born in '89)

    If we had a boy, Gregory Michael would have been the name. Another girl would have probably been Jennifer or Jodi.

    I'm counting the days down to December 1st! NaBloPoMo just isn't for me.

     
  • At 12:07 PM, Blogger Elise said…

    I used to want to name my girl Annabelle. I was so obsessed with that name; that and McKenzie. And Kevin for a boy.

    Geez, I'm glad I couldn't procreate in the 4th grade.

     
  • At 12:34 PM, Blogger Carrie said…

    Everytime I say something on my blog about a baby, they jump the gun.

    If it is a girl Savannah Anne. If it is a boy Aiden Isom.

     
  • At 6:30 PM, Blogger *~*Cece*~* said…

    I really wanted to name Drama Queen Jordan but Mister wouldn't go for it. And for The Snitch I wanted to name her Skye, but that got tossed out too. Just b/c he's helping me support these kids he thinks he's got a say so in their namming? Bitch please!

     
  • At 11:17 AM, Blogger Sue said…

    Dude, I have a hard enough time naming my animals. You can only call your child Baby Boy/Baby Girl "Lastname" for so long. And you can't take them out of the hospital unnamed. So it helps to go in prepared.

     
  • At 12:36 PM, Blogger L Sass said…

    Let's clarify Audrey's comment and say that you should pee on a PREGNANCY TEST stick. Don't just go have a free for all in your backyard or anything.

    I love Julia, Ruby, Peter, Sam and George. AS refuses to consider George, that beyotch.

     
  • At 5:22 PM, Blogger Sara said…

    what do you mean? isn't that how you give birth? the baby shoots out from under the sweater? aw maan

     
  • At 1:36 PM, Blogger Frema said…

    Did you get Audrina from that V.C. Andrews novel, My Sweet Audrina? 'Cuz that would so rock if you did.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home