The Good Kind of Dorky

 

Saturday, December 08, 2007

Christmas, spiders and Amy Winehouse

That was a needed and well deserved week off from blogging if I do say so myself. I'm going to try to keep up with it as much as I can during this busy holiday season. I cannot believe there are only two more work weeks until I leave for Upstate/Central New York. I'm going home to see my family for a week, which I am so excited for! Unfortunately, Edgar has to work that week so he'll be staying behind to spend Christmas with his family here, but like last year, he and I do our own mini-Christmas together before I leave. Last year I prepared an entire holiday meal for us, roast beef and all. So those are my plans...now, onto what I really wanted to tell you about.

A few nights ago I came home from the gym and immediately saw a large brown spider on the floor in my dining room. The dogs were all excited to see me and wiggling their backsides and following me around. Well, when I saw the spider I immediately yelled "OH MY GOD, EDGAR! IT'S A BROWN RECLUSE!" My yelling made the dogs more excited and Zoey (my poodle) started jumping around near the spider. I then yelled "ZOEY!" she kind of didn't know what to do so she sat. Right. on. the spider. I got her to stand back up and get away with it while Edgar went and killed the spider for me. I started going on and on about how dangerous brown recluse spiders are. See recluse spider wound, not for the faint.

Edgar told me that it probably wasn't a brown recluse, but I saw it with my own eyes and it was big and brown. I went to visit my trusty friend Google and looked up the brown recluse so I could properly identify the broken remains that were floating in my toilet.

As it turns out, I may (or may not) have improperly identified the spider. It was most likely just a harmless wolf spider. Regardless, I still don't like spiders in my house. Just don't put me in an airport with some guys wearing turbans, for cripes sake.

On another note, something I find equally if not more repulsive than a brown recluse bite wound? Amy Winehouse. I'm not even kidding when I say that looking at her makes me feel slightly nauseous. She must have talent because I heard she got, like, six grammy nominations. I guess I just don't see it...


12 Comments:

  • At 12:16 PM, Anonymous Erika said…

    A few months ago, there were three brown recluse spider bites AT MY OFFICE. ONE WOMAN GOT BIT IN THE BATHROOM. HOLY CRAP. I do not have to click on your link because we all did plenty of freak-out research at the time. Shudder.

     
  • At 12:53 PM, Anonymous Erin said…

    Oh. My. God. That was nasty!

     
  • At 5:54 PM, Anonymous audrey said…

    I know what you mean about Amy Winehouse. I've never really listened to her music, so I can't speak to her talent, but the woman looks repulsive. How many drugs do you need to be on to honestly think that you look acceptable like that?

    (and, dude, what's up with blogger not letting me link to my blog when I comment anymore? it's all "if you don't have a blogger blog, you don't have a blog worth linking to, you stupid, stupid whore.")

     
  • At 1:53 AM, Blogger alyndabear said…

    Lots of plans coming up!

    I hate spiders.. and even though the spider bite link wouldn't work, I know how scary they are

    Lucky Zoey is okay! Spiders wig me out.

     
  • At 10:36 AM, Blogger Sue said…

    I hate spiders, but not as much as Paul. I am no longer the one who gets rescued from them, I am the rescue-er. I can honestly say I've never seen any guy move as fast as Paul when he sees a spider.

    Right about now I'm kinda glad I have no idea who Amy Winehouse is. But by the looks of things, she should change her name to Amy Crackhouse.

    OMG. I'm evil today.

     
  • At 1:47 PM, Blogger L Sass said…

    Amy W. freaks me out. She is so icky icky poo poo! BUT NOT AS GROSS AS THAT SPIDER BITE! Glad Edgar got it!

     
  • At 4:23 PM, Blogger Marriage-101 said…

    Oh my gosh I despise Amy Winehouse!!! I've heard one song, and she's good, but so not worth it. I'd rather give my attention to a singer who's worth a damn and NOT a drug addict. What kind of message are we sending kids about celebrities if we're chasing after THOSE people?! Disgusting.

     
  • At 12:05 AM, Blogger Angela said…

    My husband's family lives out in a wooded area and have been known to have brown recluse spiders in their house. His sister even was bitten once. Yikes. I am always on guard when I'm over there.

     
  • At 10:48 AM, Anonymous Trebek said…

    Everyone,

    If you haven't listened to Amy Winhouse yet you really should. You wouldn't guess it from looking at her (or from listening to her one song Rehab) but her CD is great. Everyone I know that listens to it (guys and girls) loves it.

    I'm not sure how to get everyone a copy, but it is definetly worth a listen. It's hard to describe (sort of like old jazz with a hip twist) but she sounds nothing like how she looks.

    P.S. - Where did the name Randy's Revelations come from?

     
  • At 12:12 PM, Blogger Lindsey said…

    Trebek--who are you? Give me your e-mail and I'll write back! :-)

     
  • At 12:47 PM, Blogger Carrie said…

    Been there and done that with the spider. Kill them ALL!

    I can't believe you are leaving poor Edgar all alone. lol

     
  • At 5:22 PM, Blogger Frema said…

    Lindsey: I want to know where your name came from, too!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home