The Good Kind of Dorky

 

Saturday, December 15, 2007

The post in which I talk about my sister

On a side note, I love my Secret Blogger Santa! She rocks! Thanks Laurel and RA for being lovely santas and setting up this awesome exchange.

.......................................................................................

My sister Sara, who had a blog for about a week, moved to NYC back in October. To pay the bills she had been working at Banana Republic until she could find a job that would allow her to utilize that college degree which she obtained back in the April. She had interviewed at a handful of companies, one of which was accompanied by a Paula "I'm crazy and most likely on drugs right now" Abdul sighting. Finally, last week she got offered a job at a company that, I believe, does media coverage of some of The City's events. She accepted the offer and this past Monday she began her tenure as an unmarried woman trying to make it big in The Big City. Her office window boasts none other than a view of the Empire State Building. My office window boasts an alternate view of the retirement community.

The girl's got balls so to speak. She has gone from being my immature kid sister to being a strong woman whom I admire quite a bit. I've never denied that she is the cooler sister. She is a high energy, driven gal with a penchant for partying. She's a risk taker and a lover of life. Her strong drive, which can occasionally be mistaken for selfishness, sometimes masks her innate thoughtfulness. Generally speaking, she possesses a lot of qualities that I do not. The thing I've had to adjust to as a big sister is the fact that she is not the kid sister I could once boss around. I can't tell her what to say and do and expect that she will listen. She's not the pre-teen trying to hang out with my friends and me. She's not the high schooler getting in trouble for talking in class. She's not the college student slicing her hand open on a beer bottle (okay, maybe I'm being rash, that was only less than a year ago).
She is not a mini-me and nor would I want her to be. She is a young woman beginning a career and facing the "real world" head on. Arguably, we still remain in slightly different phases in life; she just got her first job and moved in for the first time with a boyfriend, while I've been employed for three plus years and am about to get married. But even though we are very different people, the figurative distance between us has somehow shortened. She is a cool chick and someone I like having as a friend. I don't even mind arguing with her sometimes because it's not the same type of arguing we did as kids--now there doesn't have to be a "right" or "wrong."

The hardest thing I've had to learn is to just shut up and listen and not try to give her advice because it only pushes her away. Now I know how my parents must feel. Irony, you bastard.

Sometimes I feel like Sara's third parent, even though I am quite positive she doesn't see it that way. The thing is, when she moved to NYC I was proud of her, of course, but more than that I felt, and still feel, an overwhelming desire to protect her. I want to protect her from the adjustments (to put it softly) of living with a boyfriend for the first time. I want to protect her from the bad things and people in this world. I want to warn her about stupid office politics and shield her from the bullshit. I want to protect her from hurt.

But then maybe she is more prepared than I think she is. Maybe she is more prepared than I ever was. I suppose I just have to trust that she is a smart girl. A smart girl who will be just fine.

13 Comments:

  • At 8:05 AM, Blogger Making my way in PA said…

    I can't even imagine when my little little brother goes through all his stages of childhood and adulthood. I am going to be a basketcase!

     
  • At 2:12 PM, Anonymous audrey said…

    Your sister sounds like a seriously strong woman. (I'm sure it's mostly because of your good influence!) It's gotta be hard to find a happy compromise between those feelings of pride and instincts of protection, but I'm sure you're figuring it out and doing a damn good job.

     
  • At 11:43 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Yes I too love your sister....ehh that is what I got from your post.

     
  • At 12:35 PM, Blogger Elise said…

    I feel ya, girlie. I'm the exact same way with my little brothers. One of them just got married a year ago, and I found myself biting my tongue to try and stop myself from "saving" him from all the first year trials and tribulations.

    I guess it is kinda like being the third parent, after all ;)

     
  • At 12:46 PM, Blogger Operation Pink Herring said…

    My baby brother just graduated from college. I am quite relieved that he's bumming around, working at a ski resort, for awhile. I am not ready to see him working in the real world yet!

    It sounds like your sister is in for exciting times in NYC! I'm sure she will need your sisterly advice and support plenty!

     
  • At 3:37 PM, Blogger L Sass said…

    If I can do it, Sara can do it. Seriously, I am functionally retarded and I manage to live in NYC.

    She is going to have so much fun, hopefully kiss some boys and work really hard.

    And YOU are going to come visit. Before August. Please.

     
  • At 4:38 PM, Blogger Ron Burgundy said…

    My little brother lives the life I always imagined - a career in the sports industry, hobnobbing with players and executives. It is hard to sometimes remember that he licked matches until he was 6.

    It both the man he's grown into and the boy he was that give me great comfort.

    Selah- Ron

     
  • At 9:14 PM, Anonymous SECRET BLOGGER SANTA said…

    Your final Secret Santa gift is on its way!

     
  • At 7:33 PM, Blogger Carrie said…

    Let me tell you something (coming from being a younger sibling), we learn so much from our older sibs and that is what paves the way for us. I'm thankful everyday that my brother showed me the way instead of having to test the waters alone. I'm sure she is awe of you.

     
  • At 7:33 PM, Blogger Carrie said…

    This comment has been removed by the author.

     
  • At 5:54 PM, Blogger *~*Cece*~* said…

    Great post Linds! Sounds like your sister is on the right path. I can hear the proudness in your "voice".

     
  • At 5:17 PM, Blogger KTS said…

    so exciting for her and cute to hear your worry/support. I'm the same way w/ my younger sister.

     
  • At 7:00 AM, Blogger Becks said…

    I could not have happened upon your blog at a better time. I loved reading about your sister. It gave me hope & reminded me to be more patient with my sixteen year old sister who's only response to EVERYTHING lately is to roll her eyes and sigh with contempt. I love her dearly but its very hard. I hold out hope that oneday we will be 'friends'.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home