The Good Kind of Dorky

 

Tuesday, January 01, 2008

2008 whether you like it or not

Happy 2008 ya'll! I am back from C(entral)NY and not really excited at all to return to work tomorrow. Go figure. I got back to Richmond Sunday night thanks to my Dad who drove the 9 hours to bring me back home in my brand new car (said in a game-show voice, please) just to go straight to the airport and fly right back home. I hate driving that far by myself so my Daddy really came through for me. He is a good Daddy. I'll show you pictures of my car later this week. First thing's first.

Another year gone and it's time once again to make resolutions. I'm sure I mentioned last year that I am not big on making resolutions because I think that improving yourself is an ongoing process and at the new year, while I like to reflect and loosely set a few goals, I don't like to have the "my diet starts tomorrow" attitude while I shove that "last" donut into my mouth just to turn around the next day and say "no really, tomorrow." Hmmm, ironically I did have a donut today. Even more ironic, I did say that starting tomorrow I am going to get out of this holiday food funk and eat healthier. Maybe this year I'll be less of a hypocrite. Yeah, that's what I'll do. But really, I do prefer to take small steps each day/week/month toward self-improvement. Like losing weight, you have to set small attainable goals or else you will fail. The bigger picture is often overrated and over-analyzed.

Some of the highlights of 2007 in no particular order:

-I started recycling late in the year after a three year break and, dude, you would not believe how much I was throwing away. I am getting kind of anal about it now. Today, instead of throwing away a small paper bag at Dunkin Donuts, I carried it around in my purse so I could put it in my recyclables when I got home. It feels good.

-Was proposed to. Said yes. By the way I'd like to note that my wedding is in 5 months! Hold me. You will be hearing much more about this in the days and weeks to come. I'm starting to freak out a little over how much I have left to do.

-Got to know a few of you guys better...you know who you are.

-Worked out on average 3-5 times per week for almost every single week of the year. It's all about the lifestyle, baby!

-My baby sis graduated from college!

-Wedding gown shopping with Mom and sissy.

-Hanging out with my Richmond friends and family...and hanging out with my lovely Manassas friend.

-Went to Ikea for the first time ever.

-Read at least one or two books.

-Started going to church slightly more than usual, which means I went maybe 5 times.

-Got a promotion.

-Engagement party.

-Girly birthday sleepover.

-Williamsburg with Edgar.

-Visits from Mom and Dad.

-Probably a lot of things that I am forgetting...

In the first half of 2008, I'd really just like to keep my head above water when it comes to my hectic job o' misery and all of the wedding planning, stay healthy, sleep more...pretty much just try to avoid going crazy. On a side note, I bought an new planner today (HEART!) and I can't wait to start filling things in.

This post is all over the place and I apologize, but it is a good representation of my state of mind right now. I'm going to stop now and show you a few pictures from my week at home. Happy New Year!

Christmas Eve

Christmas Day (presents!)

Pretty

I got candles, hand sanitizer and lotion. Hmm

Sisterly love

Mom cooking

Goats I love outside of a store I love

Thinking of Audrey on the drive down to VA

12 Comments:

  • At 2:49 AM, Anonymous alyndabear said…

    What a year! And I know that 2008 is going to be even more fantastic for you :)

     
  • At 7:08 AM, Blogger Sue said…

    This is why I haven't done a reflective post, I have very little to reflect back on. LOL!

    Glad you had a great holiday...and "new car"? You lucky girl.

    But I do want to know what the candles, hand sanitizer and lotion is all about. LMAO!

     
  • At 11:38 AM, Blogger Carrie said…

    That tree is WAY too close to that fire. I am paranoid now.

    Beautiful tree. Sounds like you had a great year. And SLOW DOWN!

     
  • At 3:54 PM, Anonymous audrey said…

    You are so awesome. I would have taken the exact same picture on that drive.

    One time, we got a manuscript submission from Scranton, and I was a little disappointed when I looked at the return address and the name was not Jim Halpert. True story.

     
  • At 10:07 PM, Anonymous cady said…

    happy new year! i can't wait to hear more about your wedding plans as the big day gets closer...and don't stress...everything will be fine!

     
  • At 12:58 PM, Blogger Mrs. Higrens said…

    Did Santa bring you a brand new car? Bet that didn't fit in your stocking!

    It's amazing how much stress society has attached to the two little words "our wedding."

    That said, I'm looking forward to more wedding talk around these parts!

     
  • At 4:36 PM, Blogger Operation Pink Herring said…

    Hooray for recycling! Hooray for Ikea! And last but not least, hooray for goats, who I think are so adorable that I've made Joel promise I can have one (or two) if we ever do fulfill his dream of moving to the Midwest.

     
  • At 7:39 PM, Blogger *~*Cece*~* said…

    Happy New year! So tell us about the new car, woman!

     
  • At 12:21 PM, Blogger L Sass said…

    That looks like a wonderful Christmas, you lucky girl!!!

    Also, can we please talk about your wedding nonstop for the next five months? Because I definitely DID NOT get proposed to in 2007, and I need to live vicariously through you!!

     
  • At 1:08 PM, Blogger Sara said…

    Sounds like you had a good New Year! Wow, a new car, yay!!!

    Only a few more months until you are married, woooooooohoooooooooooooo!

    Love the photos!

     
  • At 1:38 PM, Blogger Julie said…

    Did we know you were getting a new car?? Because that made me flip when I read that!

    I want a new car!!

     
  • At 4:39 PM, Blogger Angela said…

    My reflective post would probably have nothing on it. It's been a pretty blah year. Maybe my resolution for this year should be to actually DO things.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home