The Good Kind of Dorky

 

Tuesday, January 15, 2008

What is the problem, officer?

Here she is in all her glory--Silver Beauty. My new 2006 Jetta. By using the brilliance that is Craig's List, I was able to sell my Jeep Grand Cherokee in just under a week. I got the price I wanted too. So, what do you think? It was a rainy day when I took the picture, but it will have to do for now.

In other vehicle related news, today I had to go to Newport News (approx. 2 hours away) for a meeting at one of our other retirement communities. On my way back to Richmond I was chatting with Edgar on my cell phone, cruising along on I-64, minding my own business, when out from one of those small roads between the east bound and west bound lanes (cop hide-outs) came...well...a cop. With her lights on. I quickly put my phone in my lap so she wouldn't see me talking on my cell. Even though it's not illegal in Virginia, whenever I see a cop my natural New York instinct kicks in. I quickly looked at the speedometer and saw that I was only doing about 65-70 in a 65 mph area. The cop was behind me, but in the next lane over. I started to pull over, but she drove past so I thought, "Okay, no big deal." Then the cop drove toward the white truck and SUV, both of which had zoomed by me just before the cop came out from hiding. Everyone had slowed down and the cop was attempting to do a two person pull-over. At this point I was approaching them. The truck and SUV were successfully pulled over. As I am passing the cop I see her look at me and motion for me to pull over. So I pull over. I'm far enough ahead of the other vehicles that were pulled over, but not too far. I watched her approach both of them and speak to them. First she interacts with the driver of the SUV and then lets him go, but I couldn't tell if a ticket was issued. After the cop had driven past me I had hung up with Edgar, so at the point when she was pulling me over I was not on the phone. As I'm parked on the side of the road praying that the large trucks zooming by don't come crashing into me and ending it all, I call Edgar and tell him that I was pulled over. But seriously, I had NO CLUE why. I didn't think she saw my phone and I wasn't speeding. I took out my license and registration and waited. I wasn't freaking out because I really didn't think I did anything wrong. I was just perplexed.

About five minutes pass and she comes over to my car. I roll down the window.

"Is everything okay?" she asks.

Is everything okay??? You tell me. You pulled me over.
"Ummm...was I speeding? You pulled me over"

"No, I didn't pull you over."

Dude.
"When I drove by I saw you motion me to pull over." (I do pointing hand motion to explain exactly how it looked to me)

"No, I was motioning to the other guy."

"Because I didn't think I was speeding. Or doing anything wrong." Except for talking on my cell phone, which should be illegal, but isn't and could you do something about that?

Yes, I pulled myself over. Must call Edgar. Must tell Mom. Must not tell co-worker notorious for making blonde jokes.

The cop and I both laugh and smile (I think she wanted me, personally) and I am grateful I didn't get smooshed by an 18-wheeler because how tragic would that have been? Tragic, I tell you.

18 Comments:

  • At 9:45 PM, Blogger Sara said…

    Nice car!! :)

    Haha! Well, at least you don't have a ticket!!

    We may be in YOUR area next Sunday or Monday depending on the house situation. We'll be visiting Jess, maybe we can meet for lunch or coffee or something. :) If not this time, maybe in the future.

     
  • At 11:11 PM, Blogger Sue said…

    LMAO! Priceless.

    On the car...bitchin' ride, too bad it is silver. I have a thing with silver, white and light gold cars...hate them. Then again, I live in the land of ice and snow and what colors can't you see when it is snowing out? That's right, silver, white and light gold. Thank you, I'll take the dark blue, bright green or shiny red. LOL!

     
  • At 12:56 AM, Blogger Nic said…

    that is excellent. I love it.

     
  • At 10:18 AM, Blogger Operation Pink Herring said…

    This comment has been removed by the author.

     
  • At 10:19 AM, Blogger Operation Pink Herring said…

    Hysterical. I totally would have thought she was motioning to me too, because I am the Paranoia Queen when it comes to cops and driving. My heart starts pounding whenever I see a cop on the road, even if I'm not doing anything wrong! I think I would have kept driving though... multi-vehicle pull over? I have never heard of such a thing. That never would have crossed my mind!

    PS - my black 1998 Jetta has a crush on your new silver Jetta.

     
  • At 10:32 AM, Blogger Marriage-101 said…

    haha! I hate that feeling of getting pulled over. Good for you, you follow the rules!

     
  • At 10:59 AM, Blogger L Sass said…

    You're too honest for your own good!! Next time you "think" you're being pulled over, give the cop the finger and step on the gas!

     
  • At 1:08 PM, Blogger Carrie said…

    I would have told NO ONE!! Dork!

     
  • At 1:19 PM, Anonymous alyndabear said…

    That's gorgeous - AND I'm giggling hysterically at your being pulled over story.

    I've only ever been pulled over once, and the whole time he was pointing at me to pull over, I was also pointing at myself ... like, what? me? I'm a granny driver!

    Turns out they like to randomly breath test grannies, hehe.

     
  • At 1:36 PM, Anonymous audrey said…

    Way to go, Lindsey. I would make fun of you, but I probably would have done the same thing.

    Your new car is hott.

     
  • At 4:17 PM, Blogger Ron Burgundy said…

    I had a cop try to bait me into an argument.

    I got stopped rushing to catch a flight in Daytona Beach and I was going 28 in a 15. He flagged me down and asked why I was going "so fast".

    When I said I was trying to catch a flight, he countered with a syrupy sarcastic: "ohhhh, so needing to catch a flight means you can go as fast as you like..."

    I was biting my tongue; but knew that he had me. He then joked that they were going to "put up a sign that said "speed limit 15 unless you were trying to catch a flight"".

    After not taking the bait, he let me off with a warning.

    So you were very right in pulling over and not taking any chances.

     
  • At 7:49 PM, Anonymous Erin said…

    This is seriously funny! Thanks for a laugh!

    Love to car too :)

     
  • At 2:04 PM, Blogger Julie said…

    Now this is the Good Kind of Dorky.

    You are too much.

     
  • At 4:41 PM, Blogger janet said…

    we used to have a jetta until it DIED ON THE HIGHWAY. I hope that doesn't happen to yours (I am such a downer, sorry.) It's v pretty!

     
  • At 7:55 PM, Blogger *~*Cece*~* said…

    LMAO! Were you wearing a low cut top & just wanted some female validation???

     
  • At 11:57 PM, Blogger Aimee said…

    cute car and fabulous post!
    That reminds me of when we were driving and got lost - in the middle of nowhere. A cop had someone pulled over so we pulled up next to them and asked for directions. LOL The cop had us follow him onto a side street and then gave us directions. We offered him a snack and a soda, but he didn't want one. LOL (we were on a long road trip and frankly I'm never without snacks on a car ride. hehe)

    I think you deserve the good citizen award.

     
  • At 12:58 PM, Blogger Angela said…

    I nearly pulled myself over once too. It was a speed trap deal with a second officer just standing on the side of the street motioning to the people he wanted. I totally thought he was motioning to me, so over I go. Before I got too far along though, he had me roll my window down and told me to keep on going. Oops.

     
  • At 10:57 PM, Anonymous sara said…

    that is the sexiest car ever

     

Post a Comment

<< Home