The Good Kind of Dorky

 

Saturday, January 03, 2009

Hello 2009

Happy 2009! Where exactly did 2008 go? I have no idea, but I do know that it was one of the best years of my entire life. I know exactly what you mean, Ashlee. How can 2009 top 2008?

Let's just get right to the highlights:

In February, we had leap day and Edgar and I actually had a real anniversary--four years together! In May, a bridal shower and bachelorette party were thrown in my honor, making me feel very, very, very loved. Of course, June 7 was probably the best day of my life thus far--Edgar and I tied the knot! My memories of the day are such a blur, and just under seven months have passed. Everything seemed to happen so fast that day. Not only was there a heck of a lot happening in a relatively short period of time, but also there was total sensory overload. Lack of sleep, heaps of emotions, family and friends all there supporting Edgar and me--it was all so beautifully and breathtakingly overwhelming. Barring a few very minor things, I wouldn't have changed a thing about the day.

That's me...behind the bubble

After the wedding, I got a new stamp on the 'ol passport when we travelled to Dominican Republic (Edgar's homeland) for the honeymoon. All-inclusive resorts? Heart! Heart! Heart! I remembered what it was like to feel relaxed and my appetite returned. Happiness weighs more, right? Maybe 2009 will be the year I get back in shape then. ;-)

In early October I went to the New Kids on the Block concert, aka The Best Concert Ever, with Sarah and Lauren. I rocked the shirt I've had since 4th grade!

Mid-October I visited my parents in Central New York to celebrate my birthday. We rocked out in style at a Sugarland concert. Kellie Pickler opened the show and was signing autographs afterwards. I got to meet her and she signed my ticket. Pick Pickler!

For Christmas vacation I took the train to NYC and Mom took a train down from Syracuse and we spent a day in The Big Apple with my sister, Sara. Then all three of us took the train together back to Syracuse for the holiday.

Those are just a few of the highlights. There was also a trip to a water park, apple picking, pumpkin picking, a Halloween costume party, a trip to Central New York for a friend's wedding and Sarah's graduation and celebration. My resolutions for '08 included lifting weights and reading and going to church more regularly, three things I actually did! I also rediscovered my long lost love of reading and consequently fell in love with a fictional vampire. I did fun things that I hadn't done in ages, like sewing...
I think this sewing thing is stressing Sarah out. Lauren thinks it's funny.

The first half of the year leading up to our wedding was filled with much stress and excitement and flew by quickly because of it. There was just so much to plan and deal with on top of regular pressure from my job. I want to say that if I could go back and tell myself to just take a deep breath I would, but I know that if I had to do it all again, the stress would be there just the same. In the second half of the year, I relearned how to relax and just enjoy each day. Marriage is quite nice. Life is quite nice.

My feelings toward my job have been across the board--a true love/hate relationship. The career aspect of my life is not completely in balance, but only time will tell on that one.

And blogging. Could I have blogged any less??

When I reflect upon the moments of joy that I experienced this past year, I cannot help but smile. I feel so blessed to have such a wonderful husband, two great dogs, amazing friends and a loving family. Edgar and I both have our jobs and although we may not have everything we want, we have our health, our jobs, a roof over our head...and we have love. And really, what more could we possibly need?

5 Comments:

  • At 1:46 PM, Blogger Operation Pink Herring said…

    2009 may not be quite as exciting as '08, but I bet it will be just as good in its own, less crazy way. Happy new year!

     
  • At 9:00 AM, Blogger Mrs. Higrens said…

    As an indication of where my brain is right now, the quick read of the title of this post read 'Hell 2009'.

    Let's hope it's not. Here's to a different job, poetry, and much less stress!

     
  • At 6:50 PM, Blogger Aimee said…

    Happy New Year!!

     
  • At 7:57 PM, Blogger Carrie said…

    You did have a good year! I wish mine had been better but you are right, we have our health.

     
  • At 10:32 PM, Blogger Julie said…

    LOL the fact that your face is behind the bubble is wonderful.

    :)
    Here's to 2009!

    I call it, the year Timmy gives Julie Blingy.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home