The Good Kind of Dorky

 

Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Are you a recessionista?

I work in a retirement community and it never ceases to make me smile when I see a resident toting her things around campus in an old gift bag instead of a purse. Many of these residents lived through the Great Depression and don't want to waste a thing. I've even seen one lady carrying her things in one of those small, sturdy pink-striped Victoria's Secret bags. Save Everything because you never know when it could come in handy. Maybe these ladies are onto something.

Growing up, the Great Depression Era always fascinated me. My peers often wanted to write their history reports on the roaring twenties, but I was always so much more intrigued by the '30s. Grapes of Wrath anyone? I never imagined that I might one day live through a depression era all my own. My generation has trouble relating to the mindset of the older generations because when we want something, we get it, and we get it now. Times they are a changing and we're having to learn to make do with a little bit (or a lot bit) less than we're used to. I've been coming up with little ways to save money...little ways to be "recessionista" chic! I know this is a play on "fashionista," but I love it and I plan to use it loosely and often. So how fun would it be to share with each other the things we are doing to live on less? Way fun, I say!

Today I bring you...

Recessionista Tip #1: You know you took the soap and/or mouthwash, etc. the last time (or ten times) you stayed at a hotel. So when you run out of soap, don't run to the store. Pilfer through your linen closet instead. It's amazing the things you'll find. I bet you won't have to make a store run for these everyday items for at least a few weeks.

Recessionista Tip #2: It's winter and my hair gets dry very easily. I started shampooing my hair every other day rather than everyday. My hair is less frizzy and I'm totally making my expensive shampoo last longer!

Recessionista Tip # 3: When you get a coupon for a free pair of panties at Victoria's Secret, use it. Go into the store, don't look at any other tempting merchandise. Go straight for the freebie, check out, and leave. You'll totally get your shopping fix, you'll have new undies and you'll totally be sticking it to the "man." Take that, man.

So, what are your fabulous recessionista tips? Let's keep a running list. Let me know whenever you come up with something new! This will be so fun. I promise.

10 Comments:

  • At 10:15 PM, Anonymous Audrey said…

    I definitely look through my closet for hotel shampoos and soaps all the time. Mostly because I'm too lazy to go to the store, but it still saves money in the end!

     
  • At 10:25 PM, OpenID willtherebecake said…

    If you must eat out, go to Subway and get the $5 footlong. Eat half then and save the rest for the next day's lunch.

    I did this the other day.

    Also, cut your hair. Then you use less shampoo :)

     
  • At 7:30 AM, Blogger EriKa said…

    I don't have any tips but I've been on a Great Depression-kick lately too, it's not hard to guess why!

     
  • At 8:39 AM, Blogger Carrie said…

    *I started clipping grocery coupons but instead of being happy with the savings, we stash the cash away. Saved $14 on Saturday.

    *Instead of buying a case of water a week, we have our 5 gallon jug refilled weekly for $2.95. Good for going green and saving the green.

    *Since there is only 2 of us and we waste so much meat, we have divided up the ground turkey into half and cut our recipes in half. Also started buying frozen chicken and just pull out 2 breasts at a time.

     
  • At 9:57 AM, Blogger Mrs. Higrens said…

    All of our hotel supplies go to a woman's shelter, so they do get used, just not by us.

    I have to admit we haven't done much cost cutting at our house, but someone's got to keep the economy going, right?

     
  • At 2:24 PM, Blogger Girl from Pennsylvania said…

    We rarely go out to eat. I know, I know. But seriously, meal planning for the week and knowing what we are eating all week long makes it not even tempting. Plus the last time we went out, we both looked at each other when talking about how the food was and said that we could make better at home...

    Plus I really try to only buy what we need for that week. That means trying to use up random things we have in the fridge, cabinets and such.

    And finally another food tip to save money, when you make a recipe that you know you will end up wasting part of it such as lasagna, as you are preparing it divide it into two portions. So instead of making an entire 8x8 pan, I make one to eat right away in a banana bread pan and line another pan with foil and put the second half in that pan. That way we don't waste the food by letting it set in the fridge and we have a second meal ready.

    I am sure I am doing other things but hell, I am drawing a blank!

     
  • At 5:03 PM, Blogger Sarah said…

    I love the idea of being a 'recessionista'--I think it could sell. You should market it or write a magazine article or something. I'll be your publicist!

    As you know, we are cutting back too and I've been meaning to blog about it. Everyone should be cutting back...I just don't buy the whole "keeping the economy going" line. It just seems reckless, not smart.

     
  • At 1:35 PM, Blogger Operation Pink Herring said…

    I love "recessionista". It sounds much better than "cheap as hell", which I fear I am because I already did all the things you listed BEFORE THERE WAS ANY HINT OF A RECESSION. But now I've moved my hair-washing to every three days! I know, ew. But I am so lazy, so let's pretend I do it for the economy.

     
  • At 4:30 PM, Anonymous Erin said…

    I've always been cheap, so I'm spending money the same way I always have...which is actually good for the economy.

    The biggest thing that causes a recession is a belief that there is a recession. Then people hide their money, people lose jobs because no one is profiting, and round and round we go.

    My tip is to buy books at Borders. My husband works there and I would like to keep him employed!

     
  • At 2:28 PM, Anonymous thejose81 said…

Post a Comment

<< Home